DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I'm pretty happy with my current setup save for the fact that I seem to do less listening to the music and more obsessing about how things should or could send, I realize we all do that to some extent...I'd like to minimize it.

I currently have

hu: kenwood kdc-x994 (my guess this is what needs to change)

focal 130 vrs in the front save for the tweets. I found the focals tweets to be too bright, I was only hearing cymbals and hi-hat so I was advised to purchase silk cdt's es-010 which was a big improvement.

note: I did experiment with placement with the focals a lot but to no avail however I should add that during the switch I deadened the doors with 24 sheets of RAAMmat BXT II and 2 sheets of Ensolite IUO Peel and Stick to all four doors. I also put about 1/4 square foot of mineral wool insulation at the bottom of each door including the cargo hatch. This not only reduced highway noise by 12 decibels it brought out the mid-bass on said focals so I might he been a bit hasty in getting rid of the focal tweets, alas they're gone...but I do think the cdt's are more for me.

anyway, I have focals in the rear however I have seen the much heated debate on rear fill and decided not to use the rear speakers...that's all I need to say on that

my sub is the focal 25a1

lastly, the amp is a boston acoustics gt-50 5 channel amp.

I did have a audiocontrol eqs but I was advised but my local shop who did my tuning that there was a bit too much processing and that I should use the eq on my hu which is a 5 band.

so, it sounds good but I know it could be better, a bit more clarity on the mids. a correct sound I woud say..how music sounds with my sennheiser hd-600s.

As sweet as the pioneer dex p99rs I'm sure is I don't want to spend that much. maybe the deh 880prs?
what's important to me? I don't care about bluetooth, a usb out (yes I rip everything lossless), easy ipod library management which I would say the kenwood is not but a alpine I used to have was. touch screen? sure but not necessary. I just want a bit more control and to enjoy listening to music again in the car without obsessing.

I'm open, it's doesn't have to be pioneer. 500 retail would be max.

also, since I'm not using all 5 channels on the amp should I by mid and wire as rear?

thanks for your time guys!

respectfully

Adrian

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Try bridging the amp to the front passive crossovers.

I'm sure there's some EQ work you could do but that takes a keen ear or an RTA. To me the AQ EQ would be better in this case.

What is the HP/slope for the mids now?

Any of the active HU's should give you all the control you need for this system. There is an active HU's list somewhere here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response. I bounce back between 70 and 80 12-18 db trying to ascertain what I prefer. there is a 5 band eq on my hu which I am currently fiddling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump. would like some more advice, unless going active is the best and only solution?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts