DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

541 - 560 of 596 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not that great. I use sb17 paper and kaxbltwt you don't need to cross as low but need great off axis response
So I'm better off sticking a dome tweeter to use in my stock location?
Issue I'm currently having is trying to find a great tweeter for the price that will play low, but fit into the door card without modification

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
How far off axis are you talking? What size can you go? What do you feel you need to cross at? Si25 comes to mind

·
Registered
73 Posts
How far off axis are you talking? What size can you go? What do you feel you need to cross at? Si25 comes to mind
This is pretty much what I'm working with.
The passenger side stock location has a slight angle, the driver side is flush angle with the door.
The depth of the door is a pretty big issue, as is the diameter of a tweeter I can fit without extensive work (which I'm trying to avoid, don't want to hack up my OEM panels)
I know a member here who was able to fit in the nvx xsptw but had to take the grill off of the tweeter for the door card to re-attach..even then he mentioned it bulges slightly.

The SI m25? Iirc that's a pretty deep tweeter and won't fit either

As per crossover, I'm unsure as of yet. So far all I have is an 80prs and sb17 poly mids. Its my first time playing this active game but from everything I've read (not much) I'd like to be near upper 2ks for my tweeter..though that seems harder to achieve in a smaller format tweet

I'm all for suggestions and tips though :)

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,892 Posts
If you need something cheap, not too deep, works fairly well off axis and can play low, all of those factors point me toward the Tang Band 25-2176S. They retail for $27.60 each, have a mounting depth of 18.6mm, total depth of 36.8mm (including grill) and an overall diameter of 58mm.

The SI M25 is larger in diameter and depth and a lot more expensive. The Seas is a little smaller overall, but doesn't play as low and costs a bit more. The SB/NVX tweeters are quite a bit larger both in diameter and depth and run between the Seas and SI in cost.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you need something cheap, not too deep, works fairly well off axis and can play low, all of those factors point me toward the Tang Band 25-2176S. They retail for $27.60 each, have a mounting depth of 18.6mm, total depth of 36.8mm (including grill) and an overall diameter of 58mm.

The SI M25 is larger in diameter and depth and a lot more expensive. The Seas is a little smaller overall, but doesn't play as low and costs a bit more. The SB/NVX tweeters are quite a bit larger both in diameter and depth and run between the Seas and SI in cost.
Also a great suggestion!
I've looked at them, and their spec sheet, on PE countless times now wondering if they'd fit without much issue. The price is def right for the performance.
I think I'll give these a shot first, and if they don't fit then maybe give the seas prestige textile a shot.

Thanks for the help guys..and sorry to hikack the thread!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also bought a set of these tweeters on ebay some time ago when I saw this thread. I didn't install them yet, though. Now it happened that I came across a complete new original set of the Alpine SPX-17 PRO with woofers, crossovers, tweeters, everything.

First thing I did was comparing the tweeters. And there are noticable differences between those coming with the set and those from Ebay:

1. The Alpine logo is slightly different
2. The backside of the tweeter has a different structure and is made of different material (Ebay versions appears plastic, OEM metal)
3. Ebay version is almost 10g lighter

I can post pics later.

So to me, Ebay version seem to be fakes, unless Alpine released different versions of the tweeter which I doubt..

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
I also bought a set of these tweeters on ebay some time ago when I saw this thread. I didn't install them yet, though. Now it happened that I came across a complete new original set of the Alpine SPX-17 PRO with woofers, crossovers, tweeters, everything.

First thing I did was comparing the tweeters. And there are noticable differences between those coming with the set and those from Ebay:

1. The Alpine logo is slightly different
2. The backside of the tweeter has a different structure and is made of different material (Ebay versions appears plastic, OEM metal)
3. Ebay version is almost 10g lighter

I can post pics later.

So to me, Ebay version seem to be fakes, unless Alpine released different versions of the tweeter which I doubt..
I've thought about this a long while. I don't think they are fakes but I don't think they are exactly like the original SPX-PRO tweets either.

Is it possible that they are rejected builds that Alpine had commissioned, and then discontinued? OR some sort of plan to build like a new version of SPX-PRO (v2?) and then just never actually done? My mind races. But yes, they measure and sound fantastic. They definitely sound great. When I measured them, I found no response anomalies. You can see my measurements in my Durango build. I still like my Audiofrogs better, but they do cost much more. :)

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #556
One day, I'll get up the courage to tear into one and see who it really come from. Did that with a CSS plate tweeter a while back and found it was a Wavecor unit inside. I bet these are Vifa / Scan.

What gets me is, why make a "fake" of a real thing, but make it so specific? VERY few SPX-PRO sets were produced compared with other typical products, it wasn't that expensive to start, and most regular customers would find it completely useless without the woofer and crossover...which the crossover is one of the most complex and intriguing pieces of passive electronics ever.

If you were going to make a fake, wouldn't it be of something that would sell well on its own? That's why I think it is a cancelled order or something, where someone just happened to be sitting on a huge ass pallet of "change of plans".

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, really strange... with regards to your comment about the crossover: I do think, that the crossover of the SPX-177r is even more complex, it allows for even more settings than this one. However, I do like the back plate of the crossover of the Pro, it is made of thick metal. Overall, the look and feel of the Pro crossover is a bit more high-end than the one of the 177r.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Today I found some time to measure both tweeters. The green graph shows the response of the "authentic" tweeter that came with the complete set I purchased recently. The purple graph shows the "fake" one I bought on Ebay some months ago. I measured them being connected to the passive OEM crossover.

Curious to hear the conclusions from the experts so please comment ;-)

541 - 560 of 596 Posts