DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 594 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Damn! Now I want some! Stupid peer pressure!

Of course, I've never heard of them so no idea if they're any good, even if they still had them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
I looked at these a while back, definitely Vifa version. The Scan 2904's are a lot deeper. You have to go into the actual item description for more pics. There are pics showing how shallow this tweet is. If I thought these were the Scans, I would have bought a bunch and made some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking they're 3004s. I already have a couple pairs of 2904s lol
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/136014-new-alpine-spx-pro-ring-radiator-tweeter-pair-vifa-xt25-$60-shipped.html

Huhhh whatever link not working screen shot then

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
For the price, I knew I should have just picked up a pair of these when I saw Lanson post about them in his build log. :D

They seem like a great budget option for a 3 way.

Also, it looks like he isn't keeping that AliExpress page up to date. Still showing 26 pairs available whereas on ebay he is out of stock.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I was thinking they're 3004s. I already have a couple pairs of 2904s lol

Did they ever use the 3004's? I have never seen those labeled as Alpine. I think they used the 2904's, then went to Vifa, and now use whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Remember y'all, the component set these were made for by Alpine was back in 2008. I had a set of the 6.5" components back then. I'm not sure if it is/was Vifa or Scan or whatever, but they are bigger than any XT25 variant (at 28mm), more like the HAT or the Scan just in exterior dimension (driver-wise.)

For ~$40 something a pair, they are an outright steal. They are jamming really nice with my ID 6x9's, for sure.

He'll probably get some more. And I did ask about the mounting hardware JIC.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I was going to pick up a set, but a good friend had a bit of a financial issue, so I loaned him all my "car audio funds". If the guy gets more in stock again, I'll be up for snatching up a pair, they're probably noticeably better than the Type-S tweeters with the SPS-610C's I currently have installed in my beater.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
He's a nice guy, I'd like to have him on the forum but that breaks some eBay rules.

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
Legit as stolen from the same factory genuine alpine assembled?
I'm with you Victor, there's something odd about these items.

For instance, he has some ribbons for sale with a description of "HiVi RT1C", but if you click on the pic, it's *not* a HiVI. It's clearly a cheap generic ribbon:

His ribbon, aka "David Louis Audio Ribbon"

A real HiVi RT1C

Some of the gear is clearly authentic; for instance he has some JBL woofers for sale at $100 each that look authentic. But the authentic gear is priced appropriately. The JBL woofer he's selling is something like ten years old, and it's from a speaker that was never sold in the United States. So it's an odd item, and there's probably not a lot of demand. It's the type of driver that Parts Express would sell for $50.

I know I'm being a "hater", but if it's too good to be true, it probably is. This is pure speculation on my part, but if I saw a $100 tweeter on sale for $20 on eBay, and the tweeter has been out-of-production for years, I'd speculate that it's a driver that didn't pass quality control. And that's why Alpine never sold it, and that's why there's no box, manual, or mounting parts. The part was rejected by QC, but wound up in a bin of parts that someone decided to liquidate on eBay.

Just my .02

BTW, I have *nothing* against B-Stock and refurb gear, but if that's what this is, it should be labeled appropriately.

On a side note, if any of you are in California, Apex JR has a freaken *warehouse* full of this stuff. A lot of it seems to be drivers that the manufacturer bought too many of. For instance, let's say you're Cerwin Vega and you want to get into the home theater market. You can't just make a hundred woofers, nobody makes product runs like that, except for the small American manufacturers. The Chinese loudspeaker companies want a minimum order of ten thousand units. So Cerwin Vega goes out and orders 10,000 woofers, then finds that they can't move that many subwoofers in the home theater market. The woofers sit on a shelf for five years, then at some point Cerwin Vega decides they're tired of those woofers taking up space, and they sell the entire lot to someone like Parts Express or Apex JR. (BTW, this is how Trader Joes and Ross sells stuff so cheap also.)
So Apex Jr winds up with a truckload of great Cerwin Vega woofers, which you can get for $22 each. The cool thing about Apex Jr is that they're local, so it's fun to pore through all the gear he has for sale.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Also One guy saying they play OK doesn`t mean shit, counterfeit speakers still speakers.
I`m concerned how many of those will be resold here as legitimate drivers at later times.

·
Registered
17,645 Posts
I bought some out of curiosity. Will try to see if they're counterfeit when I get em

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
If you have originals to compare them with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
What we don't know is how his "generic" stuff measures. Could be better than OEM, could be worse. I don't think he's hiding or sneaking anything, or selling as something that it is not. Maybe he considers those ribbons a suitable replacement (same size, same mounting points, same timbre, etc.), I'm not sure.

I personally would like to try a few, but I don't have the pockets or need at the moment.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Also One guy saying they play OK doesn`t mean shit, counterfeit speakers still speakers.
I`m concerned how many of those will be resold here as legitimate drivers at later times.
I will tell you from first hand experience China companies will clone almost anything! It amazes me what all they clone. From the smallest electronic parts to food products to the largest construction cranes.

This is why I can't bring myself to buy any speakers not directly from Crutchfield or directly from the manufacture.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I bought some out of curiosity. Will try to see if they're counterfeit when I get em

They are not.

I know my SPX PRO's. They were the "ones that got away" when I had to sell the vehicle with them installed, since they create huge holes in door panels. :)

They also measure damn nice. I only measured them with REW as a whole system (so I get that I am not getting a specific tweeter measurement) but they are nice and smooth, no question. I've got mine at 3k @24dB/oct and that's what I used (more or less) back in 2008, sounds the same. Got that nice heft to it that I'm used to.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
I will tell you from first hand experience China companies will clone almost anything! It amazes me what all they clone. From the smallest electronic parts to food products to the largest construction cranes.

This is why I can't bring myself to buy any speakers not directly from Crutchfield or directly from the manufacture.
I'm aware,trillion dollars theft operations.
Every product not sold by legitimate channels are,despite what "heft"it has.
Some virtually impossible to distinguish but still fakes.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Victor, damn man...

If you have no dog in this fight, why are you still doing this? Same shit as before.

Done, you guys carry on. unsub

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
It bothered me that you do, compromising your integrity.
You vouch for questionable source drivers like you know something we dont.

41 - 60 of 594 Posts