DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

581 - 596 of 596 Posts

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #582
I agree with this, the tolerances are very small. That said, I had a set press-fit in my Durango, in the factory housings just slightly enlarged, and it was *perfect*.

factory tweeter popped out

Measurements

Testing

After just a bit of fettling

Yeah, looks like a factory option just about

the Audiofrog GS10 now sits in there, but its just a mm or so smaller so it isn't perfect. Of course, unless you are staring at the tweeter, viewing from underneath within 3 inches of it, you can't tell its not perfect.

·
Premium Member
9,006 Posts
the Audiofrog GS10 now sits in there, but its just a mm or so smaller so it isn't perfect. Of course, unless you are staring at the tweeter, viewing from underneath within 3 inches of it, you can't tell its not perfect.
But you know. And now we know. And because of that, it will always be there. In the back of your mind. That nagging need to order new sails... just to make it "perfect." :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
How would u comepair the gs tweeter to the alpine I kno ones a ring radiator and ones a dome I have the gb10s and love theme just wandering how the gs stack up

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #585
How would u comepair the gs tweeter to the alpine I kno ones a ring radiator and ones a dome I have the gb10s and love theme just wandering how the gs stack up

The GS plays a bit lower, cleaner, and they look astounding. They also cost a GRIP more than the SPX units so dollar for performance goes right to the SPX tweets. The GS units, however, are just a bit better.

·
Banned
194 Posts
I just got a set of these installed. Shipping took 2 weeks.
Thanks to the ones that posted positive reviews here.
I have them on axis in the sail panels.
I am truly in love. Best $40 I have ever spent.
Real of fake does not matter, they preform well over their price point.
I have them crossed over at 2.5k -24db and they are doing great.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts
They are a ring radiator, so sup-optimally.
Here's a comparison of two Vifa tweeters, one a ring radiator and the other a dome.

The performance varies above 10khz. Whether you prefer wider or narrower beamwidth will likely be a matter of taste.

·
Premium Member
5,992 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I believe the stripe is neg

I do not think these are ripoffs as in do not perform as well. I just believe china reverse engineered these. Or just continued to make these after Alpine stopped. They are supposed to be built in Denmark, I doubt they ever were. I cant tell a difference between these and the original in sound but the original Alpine that I had a blown one of has different material in the rear (aluminum vs plastic in these) However, i cant hear any difference and thats the key. They seem to have many "vifa" drivers.

Holy crap I just looked back at this thread and what a crazy argument.

These paired with the "Hot deal" Thiel/Scan Discovery around 3.2k high/low is a great combo especially for around $100.

Now I can sell my old alpine comp set that was missing one of these

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #594
On the SPX tweeters, which wire is positive and which is negative? I'm guessing the wire with the stripe is positive, yes?

I always treated the stripe as positive, but I do recall having to switch phase (at the amp side) once on one of the builds I used these. Probably unrelated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi guys, I'm Fulvio from Italy, I read all the pages of this trend, I would like to buy these David alpine tweeters, and I would like to mount them in the OEM predispositions of the side mirrors, the original hole of my BMW F32 is 43mm, so I would like to know if it is possible to remove or grab the black collar from these tweeters, to reduce the mounting size from 47mm to 43mm.

581 - 596 of 596 Posts