DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
641 - 660 of 669 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's a really good deal for the performance they offer. The original Alpine replacements were $17 per tweeter from Pac-Parts when the Alpine SPX-13PRO & SPX-17PRO component sets were first released.

I also picked up pairs of the 6.5" and 5.25" SPX-PRO mids from Pac-Parts back then, too. IIRC, they were $54 & $47 each respectively. The complete retail boxed component sets with XOs, grills, and mounting hardware were $699 or $799.

People complained that the 6.5" drivers lacked midbass output. Never understood that claim! At the time I was running them in well-deadened & sealed front door locations with a HPF of 40Hz @ 12dB/octave and they were impressive! The phase plug worked extremely well to dissapate heat. :) My subwoofer setup was at 30Hz @ 6dB/octave with phase reversed. The 6" mids had excellent midrange response as well.

I still have the 5.25" & 6.5" drivers. I'd love for Erin to test them on the Klippel just to see their performance on paper, but there's really no point as these are no longer available.

But it'd be interesting to see tweeter measurements on this latest eBay batch. I still have the original Alpine tweeters as well, which would be a good comparison.
What were the 5.25” like? I have a set of these ready to fit, but concerned mid bass could be lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
What were the 5.25” like? I have a set of these ready to fit, but concerned mid bass could be lacking.
IIRC, the 6.5 & 5.25" midwoofers have the same xmax. Obviously, the cone area is significantly less with the 5.25" mid, so it's just not going to compare to the 6.5" in terms of midbass output.

I've only used the 5.25" Alpine as a midrange driver, for which it performs very nicely IMO. I breifly swapped the SPX-13PRO midrange into a system in place of my 5.25" 1st gen Diamond Audio HEX mids. In that system, I had Peerless XLS8 as midbass, and a pair of 15" Infinity Beta 15x subwoofers, so no lack of midbass or deep bass. ;)

The 5.25" Alpines worked extremely well, and provided very clean, articulate, and detailed mids. It really is a great performer in that regard. Ultimately, for some reason I switched back to the HEX midrange in that system, but could have kept the Alpines installed and would've been very happy.

However, I would still give the Alpine 5.25" mids a try. Start with a HPF somewhere in the ~100Hz area. Try 100Hz or 120Hz with a 1st or 2nd order slope, and maybe down to 80Hz with a 4th order or steeper slope.

I think I would really like the SPX-13PRO mids in sealed dash pods with the Alpine SPX-PRO tweeters similar to Jim Becker's (aka BigRed) world champion Dodge Ram install (see attached pics).

Ideally you would combine them with a high-quality, low-inductance subwoofer that can play cleanly & smoothly into its upper range...one of the Scanspeak 10" or 12" subs, or the SEAS L26RO4Y 10" subwoofer would be a great choice...

Watch Erin's video...

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Finally got my set yesterday after it sat in LA Customs for 6 days and then for some reason it ended up in Chicago Customs or w/e they use there for another 5 days before the USPS finally got their hands on it and delivered it Thursday. I haven't hooked them up as I have other stuff to do with the doors before installing them but they look ok to me. I may even consider buying another set down the line when I have the extra 40 bucks to do so.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
After extensive research I have decided to buy these tweeters and will possibly be building sail panels with them. I have listened to some other Vifa/Peerless tweeters and they sound amazing.. even compared to Audiofrog and Morel tweets i tried which were great in their own ways... there is something great about Peerless/Vifa drivers, especially my DX25 I own... I have ordered a pair of these Alpine XT25's - Im going to do some side by side testing with my GB10's, morel's and will add some feedback to this thread. Right now they are in the mail and just crossed into the US... if they sound anything like my Peerless/Vifa DX25 I will be very pleased...

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
After extensive research I have decided to buy these tweeters and will possibly be building sail panels with them. I have listened to some other Vifa/Peerless tweeters and they sound amazing.. even compared to Audiofrog and Morel tweets i tried which were great in their own ways... there is something great about Peerless/Vifa drivers, especially my DX25 I own... I have ordered a pair of these Alpine XT25's - Im going to do some side by side testing with my GB10's, morel's and will add some feedback to this thread. Right now they are in the mail and just crossed into the US... if they sound anything like my Peerless/Vifa DX25 I will be very pleased...
I recently tested my eBay Alpine SPX Pro tweeters against some 15 other models ranging from high end to middle ground. The SPX Pro's were the cheapest by far. I was floored regarding the performance of these $40 tweets in comparison to other models costing a several hundred dollars more.

Folks, these suckers are a diamond in the rough. If you are on a budget for your build then I can't recommend them highly enough. It would be hard to find better for under $200 a set.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I recently tested my eBay Alpine SPX Pro tweeters against some 15 other models ranging from high end to middle ground. The SPX Pro's were the cheapest by far. I was floored regarding the performance of these $40 tweets in comparison to other models costing a several hundred dollars more.

Folks, these suckers are a diamond in the rough. If you are on a budget for your build then I can't recommend them highly enough. It would be hard to find better for under $200 a set.
Nice! That is definitely impressive that out of the many drivers you tested these could hang with much more expensive drivers...

I've seen some distortion numbers on the XT25's - And they tested very very good above 2.5k I cannot wait for mine to come in... I will post some feedback on here, I have these following tweets to compare to -

Audiofrog - GB10
vifa/Peerless - DX25
Morel MDT-39
Morel MDT-12
Tang Band 25-1166SJ
Alpine SPR-10TW (type R)

I have a feeling I might like these new Alpine F1/XT25's alot since my current favorite is my Vifa DX25's... I have heard that Vifa and Scanspeak used to be the same company so i wonder if there are some shared properties to the old scan tweets...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Also... if nobody else has noticed... there is now a dome version is well as the ring radiator... Funny thing is it says its a "28 mm" tweeter but the dome on both models is like 45mm across... so i dont know where they get 28mm from, maybe the voice coil size... but the surface area or SD is definitely more than 28mm...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought a pair, but somehow my wife threw one out. I see that there is a version with a cooler looking point. This is the same tweeter right? How is the off axis for these?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Check out scan d2904 and r2904 very similar

-edit , never mind apparently they are just based on the same design maybe? Vifa XT25 is the most similar but I don’t know there was ever a dome version of the xt25?

I own a vifa DX 25 that’s a dome... but it is bigger with a lower FS..

Probably just a bit better off axis performance but far less flat on axis performance...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I ghetto mounted mine in some pvc caps I’ve had them about 4 years they sound great. Pretty sure it’s been proven they are not the actual Alpine tweeters but a good sounding tweeter for a knock off
I

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I ghetto mounted mine in some pvc caps I’ve had them about 4 years they sound great. Pretty sure it’s been proven they are not the actual Alpine tweeters but a good sounding tweeter for a knock off View attachment 293831 I
Awesome thanks for the tip! I’ll have to bring mine with me to Lowe’s or Home Depot to grab some of those so I can use them as a ring holder to construct my sail panels

·
Registered
313 Posts
Awesome thanks for the tip! I’ll have to bring mine with me to Lowe’s or Home Depot to grab some of those so I can use them as a ring holder to construct my sail panels
I believe they were 1 1/2” conduit caps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ghetto mounted mine in some pvc caps I’ve had them about 4 years they sound great. Pretty sure it’s been proven they are not the actual Alpine tweeters but a good sounding tweeter for a knock off View attachment 293831 I
Your mids are in the door or dash? I’d do this, but I worry about sound integration to speakers on a 90 degree different plane.

641 - 660 of 669 Posts