DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Tundra 2010
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any great deals on vintage amplifiers on ebay? I am looking at 4 channel Alpine Expert Series or any old Zapcos? Anything caught your attention (and you would buy if your house wouldn't be full of awesome audiophile audio gear) you would recommend?

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are a few good deals sprinkled in amongst the ridiculously overpriced auctions. There's an impression that "old school" "cheater amps" are the bomb, nothing new can compete with them, and everyone wants them. So old dudes coming across stuff they forgot they had are trying to make bank. Lots of amps and speakers just sit on ebay, then disappear, likely sold to a friend for a more reasonable price.

Don't let the environment dissuade you, though, if you want a particular item because of the look or whatever, there are decent deals to be had, you just got to wait it out. I waited months to pick up an amp that only had 2500 produced in it's configuration. For less rare amps, new auctions pop up every few days or weeks. Vintage is all over the places, although a good bit of it will have to be painted if you are doing a visual install.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
OP, be aware of scammers on eBay (and other places). There are several well known names who lurk on eBay posting nice or rare old school gear. Their stuff looks good in photos and the accompanying ads make the item sound too good to pass up. Ask LOTS of specific questions and don't be afraid to ask for more photos is needed. Videos of the item working would be even better.
There are occasionally still a few deals to be had on eBay but, they are becoming fewer and farther between.

·
Registered
461 Posts
OP, be aware of scammers on eBay (and other places). There are several well known names who lurk on eBay posting nice or rare old school gear. Their stuff looks good in photos and the accompanying ads make the item sound too good to pass up. Ask LOTS of specific questions and don't be afraid to ask for more photos is needed. Videos of the item working would be even better.
There are occasionally still a few deals to be had on eBay but, they are becoming fewer and farther between.

As far as eBay is concerned I wouldn't worry about it at all.

If a item comes in any condition other than what was in the description then the seller not only has to refund you but they have to pay for return shipping... Regardless of there "return policy"

If they give you a hard time, call eBay and they will help you start a dispute. They will also be able to see all the messages between you both as well as the item info. So be sure to ask questions if there is anything you need to know before you buy something.

They will then send him a message themselves telling him to comply and send a return shipping label

If the seller doesn't reply in I believe 5 or 7 business days & agree to comply... eBay refunds you in full THEMSELVES, you keep the item and the seller is either removed/restricted or they deduct the funds from his account.

If he does comply, you will get the shipping label and then you will be refunded as soon as the tracking number shows that it's been delivered unless the seller decides to refund you sooner.

So I wouldn't scare people, ebay is very good at handling this type of thing

Mainly just be sure to read everything carefully and inspect pictures, ask questions and so forth...

Only thing I'm not 100% sure of is if it's the same for a buyer that has no eBay account and is checking out as a guest... I would assume it is but I can't say for sure.
If you have a account I can speak with confidence. Had it happen 3-4 times to me.

Good luck,
There are a couple good used amp guys on there
Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts