DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seem like every new car now comes with some non-standard sized stereo setup in the dash that has no 'normal' way of putting in single or dual sized DIN units.

For anyone here that's completely redone a car like this how did you manage to cleanly do everything. Does anyone have pics of a converted car, like say a 2008 Honda Civic, that has been altered to have a proper deck and gear? I don't own a Civic or anything but when I get a new car sometime in the next couple of years I'm going to be scratching my head on how to do a complete installed with no standard DIN compartment.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Just use an older vehicle.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Honestly, a lot of new cars have very capable head units. They read MP3s, have iPod connections, play CDs and some will even do DVD. Some of them even have 2V and higher line level outputs so you can get a decent signal out of them. Its simple enough to just build on that with whatever processors, amps, and speakers you want. That's what I'll be doing in my current car.

Now if you have a car that uses MOST fiber networks, then it becomes a little more difficult but it's still possible.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Azn-got it right. Wait for Metra to make a kit for aftermarket or an adapter for a factory HU to keep the features like synch, nav ect.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just run the speaker levels into a device like the Audison Bit One.

I am not sure if the Bit One will accept a differentially ballanced input, but if it will then wire the speaker wires on the civic to an RCA connector and plug them into the RCA inputs. They have decent voltage. Just make sure the device you use will work like this or else you will fry it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
its called a din kit...usually by metra or scorsche or similar
Damn, that is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, man!

EDIT: Oh, just so everyone's aware it wasn't that I didn't know what I regular everyday DIN kit was (obviously I already have one in my car) but I didn't realize you can get all sorts of special fitted ones that have all the necessary grooving and holes for buttons and what not ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Carefully?

just kidding, but there is a bit of truth in that one. I myself had to order the parts for the JDM version of my car where the radio was not on the same board as the climate controls.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The exact car you mentioned, an 08 civic. there is a trim peice you can get from honda that houses double din. it comes on the nav equipped model.

you can always leave the factory radio in and mount another radio elsewhere in the car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The exact car you mentioned, an 08 civic. there is a trim peice you can get from honda that houses double din. it comes on the nav equipped model.

you can always leave the factory radio in and mount another radio elsewhere in the car.
Yeah, I noticed that there are two versions of the radio dash area in the 2008 Civic but I would never pay the extra money for those built in nav systems and the regular dash area doesn't allow for aftermarket stereos. So, with that said I was glad I was linked to a place that sells the nav type dash so that you can replace the regular dash part with that one to allow aftermarket stuff.

I don't own a Civic or anything but it's nice to know I won't have to have the dash as part of my consideration when I buy a new car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
take outputs from a stock headunit and stay in mid hi fi forever I say, most stock head units are not capable as a good quality preamp, far too noisy ie not quiet think s/n ratio. just my 2c

·
Registered
51 Posts
I recently went down the "use the stock head unit" path for a number of reasons, one of which was aesthetics.

In my particular case the factory head unit was terrible. I knew better than to expect RCA preouts, or TA, or crossovers. What I did expect is that the speaker level outs would at least have a full sound spectrum output.

In my case the manufacture chopped off much of the lows below 200HZ. The magic was all in the HU and not easily reversible. Now I know there are processors, but if the content is simply not reproduced there is no processing that can be done. After a throughral session with test tones and an oscilloscope I determined it was hopeless.

I needed a processor that could read CDs and my MP3 player so it could have access to the full range available. Of course a processor that also plays CDs and has a tuner is called a HU :laugh:

I live with the plastic adapter for my dash for a single din HU. I'm glad there was one. I'm just glad half of my car didn't run through the HU.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have in the past just done one of two things:

A: Go all out cut and mold using fiberglass to really make it stand out

or

B: buy the trim bezel that would allow me to install a double or single din kit in the vehicle I was working on. They are usually under $100 and very headache free.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Now if you have a car that uses MOST fiber networks, then it becomes a little more difficult but it's still possible.
you got that right. one of my cars (an 04 no less!) is uses f.o. and short of pulling out the entire system there isn't much i can do about it.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Peripheral PCH8 is what I have in my car and would never do another stereo without one. It just send the signal out after summing it with NO EQ built in.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
my car (08 STi) had a stock unit that was just a bit wider than DIN. I wanted the iPod function of some aftermarket units and wanted a clean install. I found that the japaneese version was D-Din, so I bought the JDM bezel and a DIN sized pocket. Turned out great; but cost a bit more to buy the OEM JDM bezel to start with.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Get a Kit.

But I do agree soon it will come down to either ripping out the whole system Or having a second radio elswhere.

Cough.......BMW.......Cough

But it helps if you are a diy fan NEVER BUT THE AUDIO OPTIONS FOR CARS OR NAV......Unless you have Bently Then that "Bang and Olfuson" option is the shizinet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts