DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rockford Fosgate P300-1 amplifier which is rated for 2 ohm and 4 ohm loads. I originally had a RF 10"sub with dual 4-ohm voicecoils wired in parallel for a 2 ohm load. That speaker was damaged due to a poorly packed trunk. I ended up picking up a replacement sub of a different brand/model that has dual 2 ohm voicecoils. With the same wiring, it ends up being 1 ohm which the amp is not rated to handle.

The speaker has been installed and sounding great for the last few days as I did not realize this would be an issue until someone pointed it out.

What exactly is going to happen here? How dangerous/stupid is it to continue running the speaker like this? Should I wire it in series to increase the ohm rating? Id prefer not to replace the amp.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You already have your answer. Your amp isn't 1 Ohm stable and you will probably see it going into protection with heavy bass. Rewire the sub to a 4 Ohm load.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Never wire 1 ohm, more is better.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You already have your answer. Your amp isn't 1 Ohm stable and you will probably see it going into protection with heavy bass. Rewire the sub to a 4 Ohm load.
That^^^ or a complet failure with fire works and smoke. neither one is any good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wouldn't recommend running it at 1Ω.

I personally would wire it to 4Ω, and then pick up a 2 channel here on the classifieds and bridge it to the sub. You can get 600RMS @ 4Ω bridged on the classifieds for around $100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts