DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm certain this must have been asked here, but I didn't see it. I apologize if that's the case.

I'm making my own dashboard, which gives me the freedom to place the speakers anywhere I want. The original idea was to place them all right in front facing me. However, I have found with three separate speakers, this really does take up a lot of real estate. I have pairs of 1", 4" and 6" speakers and I was wondering if the 6" speakers would be large enough to be candidates for placing somewhere else. Perhaps lower and not on the same plane as the other speakers. I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether it is worth figuring out how to cram them in there.

Thank you.

O3

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ozone,

It is not a matter of how big but how low. Generally, below 80-100 Hz can not readily be located. I doubt that you will be crossing the 4" at 100Hz or below. That said, if the 6" would be near the 4" but not in the dash, i.e. in the doors, it should be fine. What are you planning for the low frequency for the 4" xover?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I haven't gotten that far yet (choosing cross over points). I said size because I assumed a 6" speaker by definition performed best over a specific frequency range, give or take, since the aperture is relative to the wavelength, as does a 4" etc. So whatever is ideal for that speaker. The original location for the speakers in the car was in the dash, but on the underside at about a 45 degree down angle, which doesn't intuitively seem like a good idea to me, certainly not for a tweeter, but for a 6"? I don't know. Hence the question.

I figured I would put the tweeters and 4" speakers in the dash facing me, but was wondering if I put the 6" speakers maybe in the original location, but facing up or maybe as low as the kick panel would that have a negative effect. Back when I did a lot of this research (of which I have already forgotten much) I believe it was desirable to have them all on the same plane. I'm not an audiophile, but I did want to have a nice clear, clean sounding system . . . for a change. If the difference is something like 99% vs. 100%, I really couldn't care less. But if it is something like 70% vs. 100%, then I would go through the trouble to mount them more "perfectly." Does that make sense?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I makes sense but I have no way of responding. There are so many variables here other than driver diameter. Even if you could tell me drivers, vehicle, amp, locations, etc., I am not knowledgeable enough to guide you. If you give more specifics, other may chime in with their opinions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my, that's a long thread. Gonna take a while to go through it. Lots of eye candy too. Thanks for posting.

It sounds like I'm going to have to do whatever fits and at the moment, I'm leaning toward placing the woofers on a different level to free up the real estate in the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.