DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has some CV 3-way towers (home audio), in which they are over 15yrs old. The surround on the 10" drivers are so old, they are just deteriorating and falling off. Rather than replace the surround, I was looking into maybe getting some new drivers for him, in which I was wondering how I can go about finding the crossover frequency/slope of the 10" driver so that I can determine a new driver that would work properly with the existing 3-way crossover. My dad is not into audio, so there is no talking him into going active, and/or replacing the crossovers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a set of the CV At-10 towers for sell on ebay with the following specs listed (can anyone confirm these?):

Specifications:
Freq Response: 30Hz-22kHz
Power Handling Capacity: 5/125 watts (min/max)
Sensitivity (1w at 1M): 95dB
Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms
Distortion (midband at 96 dB/M, THD&IM): 0.6%
Max output level (pair at 3M, full power): 116 dB
LF driver VC size: 1.55"
Low freq driver: 10" cast aluminum frame
Mid freq driver: 5" cone
High freq driver: 1" mylar dome
Crossover freqs: 400Hz/3000Hz
Connections: low resistance push terminals
Protection: self-resetting circuit breaker for tweeter
Level controls: tweeter, midrange
Enclosure type: bass reflex
Dimensions: 28.5" x 14" x 13.5"
Gross Weight: 40lbs (each speaker)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I were to use an 8ohm driver, does it change to crossover frequency since the OEM driver is 6ohms? If so, what would it change the crossover frequency to assuming stock is LP's at 400hz?

Thanks, Dave

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Yes, anytime you change the load you change the crossover point. If you open up the speaker, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out the xover if you can see the values on the parts.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the crossover was low passed at 400hz w/ a 6ohm driver, what would the crossover change to if replaced w/ a 8ohm driver?

I have no clue how to read the values on the parts... I did pull the crossover out, but I was clueless as to what I was looking at since I have never built a crossover before.

Dave

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just received an email back from CV, in which the specs posted above are correct, so I now just need to know what the 400hz crossover will be changed to when switching from a 6ohm driver to an 8ohm driver?

Thanks, dave

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
May not be that simple if CV uses any kind of impedance compensation, baffle step (doubtful but you never know), or eq circuits in there. Not to mention the crossover takes into account the acoustic response of the driver itself.

It maybe very difficult to find a drop in replacement that will work exactly as the old driver did. Personally I'd just buy something cheapish from Partsexpress and not worry about it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will probably end up buying a new surround kit from PE's and just try to talk him into letting me build his next setup from scratch :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts