DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

I just bought a Blaupunkt Autoradio Frankfurt TR De Luxe 32 741 at an auction for $2.00. I gather this is good. I want to find out if it works without installing it in a car. Can I hook up a 12V battery charger to it as a power source?
There are only three wires visible on this unit. One runs from the front box to the rear box, one is a thick black wire with a cylindrical metal connector, and one is yellow with a bare wire end. You can see pictures here:
It

It's probably obvious that I don't know much about this. Assume I know nothing and I won't be offended. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
your picture did work.

no you cant use a battery charger. you can, however, use a battery :D

without knowing how it is wired, I would assume the 2 of those wires are ground and power. if it is from the 60's then it must be an analog tuner? (dial style)

I would be very carefull with it. I am not sure when cars went to 12volt systems. I know they used to be 6volt. if it is a 6 volt radio, then 12volts will fry it.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
ok, the yellow wire is certainly power.

on the last pic you see a screw whole with a little symbol next to it, that is ground.

the thick black cable is the ant.

not sure what the assembly in the back is, but obviously that cable sends power/signal/something back there. there are no wires for speakers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no speaker wires. I'm guessing that the round black outlet that you see just below where the thick black wire goes into the box is a jack for a speaker wire. That's just a guess though.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
A 1962 Frankfurt consists, as Leon says, of two parts-the head unit which contains the rf/IF stages, controls, etc., and the amplifier unit. There should be a multicore cable coming from the head unit, terminated in a 6 pin plug, which connects to the amplifier. Protruding from slots in the amplifier case should be two removable paxolin tabs, one marked 6v on one side and 12v on the reverse, the second marked + & -. The Voltage & Polarity of the radio is that indicated on the top of the Tabs.(AFAIK the above applies to '62 models. Voltage changeover in 1950s, and possibly some early 60s valve radios, was via soldered links in both the amp. and head unit) Blaupunkt vave radios used Non-synchronous vibrators, and worked in vehicles of either polarity without adjustment. I would have thought a '63 splitscreen VW was 6volt, though I'm not sure. If it is 12v, and the vibrator fitted is 6v, this will have to be replaced. 6 and 12v transistorised 'vibrators'
to replace most mechanical types can be obtained fromwww.radios.freeserve.co.uk
Unfortunately people tend to 'rescue' the 'radio', or what they think is the radio, and ignore the other box, which generally contains the Power Supply and speaker. I've got two EKCOs and two Pyes in that state. The first step is to obtain the data. Unfortunately data on Car Radios tends to be a bit thin on the ground.
Try CAR RADIO REPAIR AND RESTORATION SERVICE - Repair and restoration service for car radios.. They - Adrian - found the Pye information for me.
Taken form this thread...

Seems like there's another module you don't have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have both of these units. Look at the 4th picture I posted: the radio itself is the larger unit, and there is a smaller box attached to it at the back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I just read the second quote more closely. Is this person saying there are THREE boxes: the radio, the amplifier, and the power supply/speaker? If so, then I am missing a box, because I only have two, and there is definitely no speaker.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Oh, I just read the second quote more closely. Is this person saying there are THREE boxes: the radio, the amplifier, and the power supply/speaker? If so, then I am missing a box, because I only have two, and there is definitely no speaker.
Mm I read though that thread, seems like you're missing some module =/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts