DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed 6.5" mids in my front doors myself, and I cut out each part of the door panel where it would normally cover the woofer. I have the factory speaker grills that came with the mids, but there's no way I can see to keep the grills on.

First time I've installed mids in the door myself, so be gentle. :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Usually, you must place the speaker through the grille collar, mount the speaker/collar to the door, and pop the actual grille in place. What kinda speakers?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Pics of what your dealing with? It could be extremly simple.
On the other hand you could be looking at a little fiberglass fab.
Could turn out to be a good little project.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Usually, you must place the speaker through the grille collar, mount the speaker/collar to the door, and pop the actual grille in place. What kinda speakers?

Hmm, when I got the speakers, it didn't come with grill collars for the mids. Thanks for the input. They're Rainbow Platinum 6.9" mids.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics of what your dealing with? It could be extremly simple.
On the other hand you could be looking at a little fiberglass fab.
Could turn out to be a good little project.
Thanks man. I'll get a pic or two up soon of what I'm dealing with.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I was just found this thread from the user 'less' from a while ago, and he's got pics of the same mid set that I'm referring to in my thread. In his first pic, it looks like the grilles for the mids have a rubber surround on them.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/32990-fs-rainbow-platinum-6-9-midbass.html

Is that what you guys see, also?
Like I said, it looks like it's pressure fit between the outer ring and the speaker surround. There's a valley there the grilles should press into.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, it looks like it's pressure fit between the outer ring and the speaker surround. There's a valley there the grilles should press into.
Yeahh, definitely missing that, then. Looks like I'll be sending a PM to 6spdcoupe to get a set of those rubber fitters that go between the speaker grooves and the grills.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
That's an idea, too, if I can't find the rubber spacers. Thanks TL! I'd just hope that down the road, if I wanted to sell these mids, the deadener would come off clean.
Well, you wouldnt need to use much just a piece in about 4 maybe 6 spots and you shouldnt have a problem it should just peel off kinda silly putty on a news paper.
Thats always been my experience anyway.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
you could use a strip of electrical tape around the edge of the grill. Then when you're done you can use goof off if there is residue.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you could use a strip of electrical tape around the edge of the grill. Then when you're done you can use goof off if there is residue.
Thanks, spl, I appreciate the input.

I might just try a little butyl, first. Is the best place to get some at Home Depot? Or somewhere else?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks, spl, I appreciate the input.

I might just try a little butyl, first. Is the best place to get some at Home Depot? Or somewhere else?
if you're worried about the butyl leaving residue its for good reason. It will. It's black, nasty and sticky. It doesn't really come off either. I would look into less permanent solutions first. Maybe even a dot of hot glue? ooh i know! go get some felt tape.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts