DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, theres some light scratches on the front of my DRZ9255 face glass.
Is there way to polish these out ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Guys, theres some light scratches on the front of my DRZ9255 face glass.
Is there way to polish these out ?

Something I've used successfully on a number of Alpines is:

NOVUS Plastic Polish

A little on a soft flannel cloth goes a long way- work carefully around details and tampo-printed or screen printed portions.

If you have a well-stocked hobby shop nearby, you may be able to find Micro Mesh polishing pads (very mild abrasive on a cushioned backing) or a Flexi-File triple grit sanding stick (three grits on one stick) that are good for working around certain areas, and when used as directed through the progressive grits will give you a mirror like shine on bare plastic or painted finishes, good for deeper scratches...you may find Bare Metal polish there as well which is finer than the Novus system but settles out, requires constant shaking before applying and buffing. 3M has a plastic polishing system as well.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm.. thats for plastic though, no ? I think my headunit has glass display.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
not likely, prolly pollycarb.

for a tiny little scratch like that, I think I would just let it go. if your scratch removal goes bad, it will look 10X worse.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I see...if it is actual glass, then you may be out of luck.

You could try applying a spot coating of clear lacquer to the scratched portions and then polish it down level with the surrounding surface with fine rubbing compound to minimize them, but otherwise you are probably going to have to live with the scratches- most abrasives strong enough to polish glass will harm surrounding features.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm, maybe a watch/Jewelry shop would know since they probably polish watches sometimes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
not likely, prolly pollycarb.

for a tiny little scratch like that, I think I would just let it go. if your scratch removal goes bad, it will look 10X worse.
If it is plastic (like my old CDA 9813, now installed in a buddy's car), the plastic polishes brought it up as clear and glossy as it was right out of the box.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I saw someone recommend brasso and I tried it on my 7100 face. It did a lot for minimizing a fairly noticeable scratch on the face. I used a dab the size of a q tip and a microfiber cloth to polish the entire face. You can still slightly see some of the marks if you hold it at an angle in the light, but in the car it looks almost brand new. I'm guessing a couple more passes with it or something finer would have really gotten it shining, but I was primarily concerned about a couple of pretty noticeable scratches.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I saw someone recommend brasso and I tried it on my 7100 face. It did a lot for minimizing a fairly noticeable scratch on the face. I used a dab the size of a q tip and a microfiber cloth to polish the entire face. You can still slightly see some of the marks if you hold it at an angle in the light, but in the car it looks almost brand new. I'm guessing a couple more passes with it or something finer would have really gotten it shining, but I was primarily concerned about a couple of pretty noticeable scratches.
I believe the Silvo version is gentler than Brasso, and that Bare Metal polish I was talking about is similar to Brasso (with an even gentler abrasive in solution). If Brasso left small scratches behind, Micro Mesh followed up with plastic polish would probably remove them completely. I use liquid polish to finish up after levelling the surface down with Micro Mesh to the point deeper scratches are gone but a haze remains- the liquid then removes the haze and brings up a glass-like shine (but is too gentle for actual glass :().

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
this guy should do TV marketing! (why are youtube people so boring to watch, lol)

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
If it is indeed glass, you might look into Cerium oxide which is used as a final polish on telescope mirrors.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
tap a piece of glass to it... it'll tell you if it's glass or plastic.. 2 distinct sounds of the 2

·
Registered
302 Posts
Go to an aquarium store. Most fish tanks are made of acrylic these days, and they sell a scratch repair kit that works fantastic. It's a 2 step liquid polish that works pretty well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used brasso metal polish on my alpine screens. I used some 3M 3434 tape to cover the text at the bottom and all the edges so that only the screen got polished. (else you can easily polish text off and smooth off textured finishes) I didn't need to use a refining polish as the end result was a screen that looked like new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts