DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

How does Digital to Analog (DAC) process works when stream music through BT reciever?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ANDRESVELASCO 
#1 ·
The thing is that I'm running an old shcool Alpine 9815, and I love it... but I really miss the bluetooth streaming feature. (Not for calls, just music).
By the way, I haven't changed my HU yet because all the units I have seen (with similar sound features than my Alpine) can stream music only by standard BT codecs, and I want to have Apt-x codec streaming capable unit (because of the better compresion rate and SQ improvement overall).

So, I found this 12v AptX receiver http://exileaudio.com/store/index.p...g/exile-premium-bluetooth-music-receiver.html that can be attached to my Alpine's rca AUX in (through adapter cable).

My question is:

Where does the Digital to Analog process occur? In my phone? (Galaxy Note 3 with a nice wolfson DAC inside) or in the cheap dongle? (cuz actually, BT signal is digital signal after all, and then, when this signal passes through its RCA outs, It must be Analog signal is not?

How this works??

#4 ·
This is what I guess... But, then, ... Why no one of this cheap "BT Receivers" (with or without aptx, for car or home) don't declare that their are in fact DAC's,? (and their dac specs: sample rates, resolutions...)?

I know there are lots of DAC's -from low-end to hi-end, that are BT capable, but usually those are presented as external DAC's, and BT here is just a feature... While "pure" BT recievers don't even make mention that their are actually cheap DAC's.

It's not enough clear to me... :(

#5 ·
I`d snap some pictures of BT receiver guts but I packed my shop for remodelling and don`t have access to them until it`s done. Keep searching you`ll find answer to this question online.

#6 ·
How does Digital to Analog (DAC) process works when stream music through BT r...

Victor is correct, BT is in fact a network protocol.

If a device receives a stream via BT and outputs that through analog RCA then it's per definition a DAC. Can't answer why they don't specify what components they use, perhaps removed by the marketing compartment xD

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

#7 ·
I did a Google research as Victor suggested.. And I found that current products of this type, have low-end dac chips inside, that are good enough for Streaming mp3 and others compressed formats, but when play Hi-res formats, this are "downgraded" to lower bit rates (16 bits resolutions as best).

Anyway, a device with aptx protocol should be much Better than another with no aptx.

A dream would be found a compact 12v dac reciever with wolfson or other hi-end dac chip and hi grade components inside, besides aptx BT streaming... Just can't found this product yet... : (

I don't know why this kind of products have not yet hit the market... I'm pretty sure many car/marine audio enthusiasts would be pretty happy by adding premium BT capabilities to their actual Systems, specially with dedicated DSP Systems without decent BT streaming embedded...

#8 ·
I'm using a Creative Labs E5 DAC. BT stream from my phone using APTX (Or usb for kicks with lossless) to very nice and clean analog signal to my DSP. I use a cheap Cig-to-USB converter to keep it powered. Works surprisingly well. This little DAC has blown me away in its capabilities. Great output and does not clip even at 100% volume.

#9 ·
Do you leave the E5 connected in your car all the time? And does it automatically turn on/connect to your phone when your in the car?

I'm installing an iPad in my dash, and since this has optical out and bluetooth it looks like a good option. I just wouldn't want to have to press the power button every time I got the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.