DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Thats rather old, but still fun to test yourself with, i forget how far i got as i took it along time ago, but IIRC it was about -18db or -24db, using an old off brand headphones...nothing spectacular.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I scored -24dB as well, on my speakers. I wonder if it is even possible to go further with the samples they used. What's with the "real speakers" thing? I doubt real speakers are that distorted. My source is an Apogee MiniDAC btw. Very detailed sound card.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i got to -24, but thats w/ my trusty sony mdr-7506s

·
Registered
164 Posts
guys, use headphones. Speakers, especially computer speaker dont cut it from a distortion perspective lol. I managed to score -36db on my PC headphones (Sennheiser PC150). My friend who used an audio technica L3000 (about 2000USD pair of headphones) managed to get the maximum score of -45db. Others have scored just as well with cheaper headphones though. but i have no doubt using speakers will 'worsen' your score in general

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
-24 here but off of my desktop speakers i didnt have headphones here to try it with....i believe i can do better but with headphones as its super noisy in the listening area with compaf fane and ceiling fan etc....

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Christ, I only did -12db, off my desktop speakers at low volume (roomates sleeping). Maybe higher volume will be easier...

-aaron

·
Registered
61 Posts
lol, late night, loud fan, bad speakers, i only got to 12 the first time, 30 the second, but the second time might have been luck

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Sent it to my buddy, he couldn't get to -12db on ear buds, then put on studio headphones and got to -24db pretty intoxicated.

Seems like it's more of a how good are you speakers, not how good are you ears test :D

-aaron

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Well i think its ment to be done on a reference setup. Which is why everyone varies so much....as people are using crappy equipment...or really nice Cans.

I wish i could get it goin on my HT.....but since its at the other end of the house it wouldn't be usefull.

·
Registered
109 Posts
nice w/ my electrostatic comp speakers i made it to -24 with no problem:-D

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hipnotic4 said:
nice w/ my electrostatic comp speakers i made it to -24 with no problem:-D
wow electrostatics are that detailed?

I actually get the same results with both my various headphones (Shure E4, Etymotics, Grados) and speakers (Dayton Reference), but it took me an hour of listening to get -24.

I used my Behringer microphone and recorded a comparison. This way I got them all right (-45). It was very easy this way!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wierd, just spoke to my friend just now with the 2000 dollar audio technica headphones again. He told me he took the test twice. First with his Sennheiser HD650, he said they were crap, he could barely hear to -24db. Then he took a break and tried it with the more expensive L3000, and scored the -45 relatively easily. I personally think that the scores kind of eliminate luck because you need to get the right answer twice to get a final score (when you make a mistake, you drop 2 levels and have to work your way up again). Apparently at -45, you have to answer the same -45 question 3 times in a row before it gives you the score. i suppose getting lucky is possible, but very very very difficult.

But then again, not all sennheisers can be crap, since i did manage to score -36 with my el-cheapo 30 dollar senns, the PC150? But whatever it is, it definitely seems to me that generally the bottleneck is not your hearing ability but the equipment that you use to do the test, lol

Sometimes i wonder why i even bother with car audio when headphones costing a fraction of the price can easily sound better than even the best, most expensive car systems, sigh.... :D

·
Registered
144 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Lol, well, I took the pop music one again, and managed -15 this time with a little more volume - the funny part is both samples distort badly on my computer speakers with any volume :D

-aaron

1 - 20 of 26 Posts