DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first sub and amp for my car, a kicker cxa800.1 and a kicker comp rt (2 ohm 10 inch) and I want to be able to have it as high as safely possible but I don’t really know where that would be. Currently I have the gain set a good amount less than half and it sounds alright but I’m scared of blowing the sub because I’ve never done this before

·
Registered
51 Posts
To set them correctly you needed the DD1 or an O-Scope. The signal from the radio plays a role too, if the source signal is clipping then the amp is going to be clipping. So you must find how high you can turn up the radio without clipping first, left at that max unclipped volume, you then set the gains on the amp to right before clipping. Without any tools to do it the right way, it's just a guessing game.

·
Registered
87 Posts
At 2 ohms you are unlikely to blow that sub with that amp but it does put out 600 watts rms at 2 ohms while the subwoofer is rated for 400 watts rms. The gain isn't exactly a volume control but you could probably go a little higher depending on the music you play and how high the outputs on your head unit are. Don't make gigantic changes at once or set it to classical and then play bass meckaniks...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At 2 ohms you are unlikely to blow that sub with that amp but it does put out 600 watts rms at 2 ohms while the subwoofer is rated for 400 watts rms. The gain isn't exactly a volume control but you could probably go a little higher depending on the music you play and how high the outputs on your head unit are. Don't make gigantic changes at once or set it to classical and then play bass meckaniks...
I listen to hip hop for the most part with heavy bass and I wanna make sure I can go pretty loud on the amp without blowing the sub

·
Registered
87 Posts
The amp puts out 600 watts and the sub is rated to take 400. It will probably make not so nice noises before you run into trouble but without hundreds of dollars worth of tools you will need to experiment with it to bring it up safely.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Do some searching and u will find many posts about this issue. There is a division between those who say to set it w/ equipment and those who say to set it by ear. I've always done it by ear... after all, u'll be listening w/ your ears, not equipment. It's a lot cheaper and ezr too. But just for fun, I've put a voltmeter on my speaker outputs after setting the gains and the power levels seem to be exactly what they should be.

Anyway, to set by ear, turn the gain on the amp all the way down and set the bass boost at about 1/2way up. Turn up the volume on the HU to about 3/4. Play a song with really heavy bass. Slowly increase the gain on the amp until the subs start to distort, then turn the gain down just a touch. That should get u very close, and u can fine-tune from there after u listen to it for a few days. U'll still be able to add some bass boost when a song needs it, but listen carefully for distortion. Too much boost on a song that already has heavy bass can blow your subs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts