DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Im curious of how much am i missing as i have my tweeters in factory locations playing 30-50ish degrees off axis and they dont play over 10k
Personally, I’d say you’re missing very little. I’d take a hearing test from the app store to see where your hearing cuts off. I was surprised to learn that my children can’t hear passed 16.5k - you’d think they could hear to 20k being kids. I can hear to 13.5k perfectly fine, and then it’s off and on til 15k.

But 15k is so high it sounds like tinnitus to me, so I’m not concerned with anything really over 12k. We are talking “sssss” sounds and other “airy” audio that is usually fatiguing in anything more than modest amounts.

Maybe do a blind test to convince yourself? I don’t think it’s worth worrying over.

Audiophile flaming in 3…2…1

·
Registered
425 Posts
If your tweeters don't play to 100kHz then why bother?
Which tweeters play to 100 kHz...? Maybe a typo there.
What music you listen to determines the decision of importance above 10kHz. R&B? Don't bother. Folk/pop/country music? Way more important. I listen to metal and heavier rock and have to admit that at that range things become 'tinnitus' unless at lower levels. Just IMHO anyway.
Peace

·
Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,751 Posts
I can hear things over 10k that are important to me the dings swoosh’s beeps chimes I’m being semi sarcastic it does make a difference depending on variables and music genre and how loud you listen to music. But in a dsp if you can’t hear or. It sure boost it by 5db find out in a song you think has it. Find out what you think your missing in the fly laptop gui on the dsp that’s how I find stuff when I’m tuning or looking for something I’ll hear that I haven’t heard before

·
Registered
978 Posts
I start cutting at 10k anyways so I say not a big deal.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I know my Infinity Kappa Emits/Ribbons advertised being able to play to 45k. Could they, or better could anyone hear it? They were always an incredible sounding tweeter on the high end.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I know my Infinity Kappa Emits/Ribbons advertised being able to play to 45k. Could they, or better could anyone hear it? They were always an incredible sounding tweeter on the high end.
absolutely not, a person is lucky if they can hear to 20k. I would say the avg person can hear to 18k...

.I don't think I could ever hear above 18k or not much and I have excellent hearing, but I haven't really had my hearing tested in that respect since I was a kid. Everyone is different though and more sensitive to certain frequencies. My grandparent had a hard time hearing me because they couldn't hear certain frequencies from my voice, but that was lower frequencies. I guess things go downhill when you're older, LOL

Now that I've been exposed to loud music and heavy equipment for the majority of my life; no telling what my hearing range is now. I believe it's still pretty good but I haven't had it tested. I have always been sensitive to high frequencies and will gladly give up the 18-20k range, maybe more. I can't stand the really high frequencies getting near the upper end

·
Registered
395 Posts
I can hear right up to 13kHz ... and then nothing

As long as your computer monitors can play up to 20kHz, you can simply see how high you can hear at this link--

Thanks for the link
I'm going to have to try playing this on my phone through my headphones maybe?
I just tried from my laptop. I started losing it around 14-15k but i jumped to 19k and could hear something. not sure what happened. around 5k is where I'm not liking the tone generator, lol. I'm sure some of these frequencies are different with music.

I'll get back to you after I try on the headphones.

EDIT: I have weird behavior above 15k on that generator. I'm good to around 14400 but that's a horrible frequency anyway. 7k really starts killing it for me and just gets worse from there. at15k, i'm going to say it all sounds the same or I lost my high frequency hearing. No loss to me though, actually better IMO.

that test reminds me of the old hearing tests when they used to have you raise your hand when you thought you heard something. then it get to a point where you just keep raising your hand at everything and the test was over a minute before, lol

so, to the OP's? I'm going to say it's not too critical in not having anything above 10k

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I’ve had nothing above 11K for years. Loud stereos when I was a kid, too many years in industrial environments pre-ear plug rules and I spent about a decade crewing on Pro Mod and Outlaw 10.5 cars…my ears are done for. Combine that with extreme tinnitus in my left ear and IDGAF what happens up there because it’s not my problem. lol

·
Premium Member
2021 Camaro 2SS
787 Posts
Just tried that tone gen, thanks for that.
In my left ear I can't hear anything above 12Khz and my right ear cuts off at ~14Khz. Looks like I can remove my 12K High Shelf filters LOL

Reactions: Anu2g

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nice link, haven't used that one. It's been a while since I've tested but seems like I'm still good to 15k with my desktop setup...nada after that.

·
Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,751 Posts
Just tried that tone gen, thanks for that.
In my left ear I can't hear anything above 12Khz and my right ear cuts off at ~14Khz. Looks like I can remove my 12K High Shelf filters LOL
Just because you can’t hear it now doesn’t mean you won’t hear it tomorrow you know this right?

·
Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,751 Posts
I really hope you guys are shaving your ear hairs inner canal and cleaning it a good ear wash before y’all are testing your luck. Best thing to do is put it in your ear and turn it up super loud this will let you know oh also there is some
Type of medicine you can take that enhances your hearing I can’t remember what it is though atm. It’s like some numbing agent for your mouth tho

Reactions: MetricMuscle

·
Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,751 Posts
No I think its lidocaine is an anesthetic. It causes loss of feeling in the skin and surrounding tissues

1 - 20 of 42 Posts