DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Im curious of how much am i missing as i have my tweeters in factory locations playing 30-50ish degrees off axis and they dont play over 10k
What are the factory locations? If they're pointed at the windshield you're probably not losing much.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
In the sail panels ,pointed at the opposite side windows pretty much
A lot of people are very satisfied with that tweeter location. What house curve are you tuning with? Most curves have a high frequency roll off that nearly matches the roll off of most 1 inch tweeters mounted similarly.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the link
I'm going to have to try playing this on my phone through my headphones maybe?
This might not matter for much...but I play drums. If you are a serious drummer then you tune every single drumhead to specific frequencies. I use an app on my iphone and some headphones to do it. It REALLY teaches you how to understand frequencies and notes and music; but I've played guitar for 30 years so that just comes as it is.

I would recommend getting a free or cheap tone generator on your phone/tablet, use some headphones, and play those tones and understand them. Tune your system around what your ear tells you. That is when you will realise how irrelevant stuff above 15kHz is and how pointless except for phallus measure anything around 20-30 Hz is.

Trust me. DSP's are a fools purchase.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This might not matter for much...but I play drums. If you are a serious drummer then you tune every single drumhead to specific frequencies. I use an app on my iphone and some headphones to do it. It REALLY teaches you how to understand frequencies and notes and music; but I've played guitar for 30 years so that just comes as it is.

I would recommend getting a free or cheap tone generator on your phone/tablet, use some headphones, and play those tones and understand them. Tune your system around what your ear tells you. That is when you will realise how irrelevant stuff above 15kHz is and how pointless except for phallus measure anything around 20-30 Hz is.

Trust me. DSP's are a fools purchase.
How does what your saying have to do with a DSP and it's capabilities?
I mean this as respectfully as it can be, but if you find a dsp a fools purchase, I honestly question your judgment lol.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm 53 and with that tone generator test I was good up to about 13khz and nothing above this , this after many years of listening at high volumes (if you can't feel it then what's the point)

If you are young I would say above 10k is slightly more important than if you are older but even then it's only marginally important , no way as near as important as 10k and below this is where most of the sound is.

Recently I discovered my tweeter in my car wasn't working and I hadn't even noticed it wasn't working until it randomly cut back in one day (bad connection somewhere) , I actually preferred the way it sounded without the tweeter , now I understand why some go for wideband speakers with no tweeter as when the tweeter started working again it sounded tinny and a bit harsh to me in comparison.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean its not there and not important. Your ears roll off just like a speaker with a crossover. You can still hear it with old ears unless you have had hearing damage. If your ears are just "old" then you still need a tweeter. If you have had damage due to loud music, concerts or gun blasts then skip the tweeter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My factory stereo didn't play above 12K. I replaced the tweeters with better ones that did play up to 20K and there was a big improvement in clarity. While it's true that most of the music is between 300-3000hz, you get the little details above 10K.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I think the title of this thread is off by 5k hZ 😉

Based on what I can hear and the majority of responses of others , frequencies below 15kHz are much more noticeable and important then those above 15k…So with that said, running without a tweeter only to 10kHz is NOT going to cut it for the majority of enthusiasts but tuning for much higher then 15kHz is prolly not necessary.

Still gonna need a tweeter either way

just my .02

·
Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,751 Posts
It’s really not that difficult to figure out all you have to do if set your crossover to 10k to infinity and hear what you’re Missing. Idk why people make things so difficult to ask irrelevant questions when they can easily just test it out in a computer.

·
Registered
425 Posts
How does what your saying have to do with a DSP and it's capabilities?
I mean this as respectfully as it can be, but if you find a dsp a fools purchase, I honestly question your judgment lol.
Fair enough....a decent question! I did not explain that properly; my apologies.
I believe DSP's leave guys twitching around with computers instead of listening with their ears. If you listen to hard metal then you want a MASSIVELY different EQ setup than someone who listens to heavy rap or etc.
IMHO (and this is just IMHO; this is big fight territory and I'm not down with that. I left here because of that...another story); but you listen with your ears and tune to that.
All these graphs that 'audiophiles' want to print out and nag over are pointless.
What sounds good to you? Go with that. A DSP is not required for that.
Again - just IMHO - I'm not starting hate.There are guys here that believe that unless you have a DSP in a $1k system then you are doing it wrong.,..yo, each to their own.
Peace

21 - 40 of 42 Posts