DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the statement says, how long should a top line amp like my Audison LRx 5.1k last for? More importantly what are these known to do before they die? ie. Do they lose channels, dies suddenly, slowly lose sound quality on channels? If this is a stupid question please have it moved but I am just curious how long one should expect a top level amp and well speakers too I guess. Do speakers slowly lose quality over time too or just die outright? As I bought most of my equipment used and don't think it sounds as good as it should I just want to rule this out as a possible issue. Thanks to anyone that has some info on this subject.

On a secondary note, Is an Audison LRx 5.1k actually a top level amp? I was told before I bought it that it was the best unit out there to power up a 2-3 way active set with a sub stage. This was an Audison dealer of course so curious here too. I have already had two guys here separately said they were unimpressed with this amp which kinda shocked me and makes me ask this question now.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
1) How long an amp last depends on how it is used/abused and its initial design. Many older amps (10+ years) need to have caps replaced due to leaking or improper storage. It really depends on alot of variables

2) I wouldnt say its the best amp ever, but neither is it mid level/mediocre/entry level. Grading an amp at "top level" is very subjective. What do you think makes an amp "top level" criteria? Price? Power? Design? Reliability? Exclusiveness? Name? The list can go on and on....

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I know that saying anything is top level is subjective. I guess when I say top level, I mean in sound musicality regardless of price. I don't think there are many that can offer what this does in the footprint it has however.

As for my first question, I guess what I really want to know is do these amps start sounding weak and lose sq when the start to get old? Is there a way to measure this ie. frequency response being produced by the amplifer (taking the speaker and room out of the equation? I think that is called the electrical frequency response. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Yes you can measure the frequency response from an amplifier, I know members here have done it but cant recall who has. Maybe BikinPunk, Chad, Minivanman, npdang, ChrisB, or imjustjason has

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody else have any thoughts? If anyone has done a frequency response plot on an Audison LRx 5.1k I would be very interested in seeing that. Also, if someone could mention a way to do this on a computer rta program (if possible), I would be interested in trying that out.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I have never had an amp fail, what exactly happens? Does it just stop producing noise or other issues? I have heard (year's ago) about amps catching fire and such. Sure hope that never happens.:eek:

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
In the case of my old 6 channel JL it dropped one channel and a few months later 5 of the 6 had no output. I ran it over with the car multiple times but could not damage it so it went in the trash. That's the only failure i've ever had but I would be curious to know if you might lose sq on the way out, especially dynamics. My tweeters seemed harsh as the amp was failing but there's no way to know if the amp was the cause.

Never killed a sub but my 12w6s were going strong after 6 hard years and 200,000 miles. They're still going in a friend's car. I even ran them IB and gave the suspension a nice workout. The only damage I've ever had was the foam rotting on my old Cerwin Vega AT-12 house speakers. Ironically, my dad's AT-15s are still fine purchased in '91.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
my dad has a set of the CV subwoofer system. the setup with the single 10" bandpass sub and 6.5"/tweeter satellites. we bought this system in early 90's and is still going strong.

·
Registered
783 Posts
All four of the amps in my truck and my mids and tweeters are from the mid 90's! See the sig.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depends on install and how you use it.
Ok, let's assume amp is installed correctly and not trashed at all. ie. only run at 4 ohm on a + b channels and maybe 2 ohm on sub channel (I am running 4 ohm all around). Since I have had it, it's gains have always been professionally set and never abused. Installed correctly - ie. bolted to wood under carpet. It ain't going anywhere ;) So, do these things typically lose sq over time, lose power over time or just flat out die once they meet their maker? I think mine is doing fine but always seem to be thinking I should be getting more out of it; especially considering how much this thing costs new.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Bolted to wood under carpet... That sounds like a great way to melt your amp unless you've got some good way to ventilate it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I still have 3 rockford fosgate amps from 1993-95 and they work fine. My orignal jl 12w6 only died last year, giving about a good 14 years. And it only died because my brother was using it and pushed it way too hard. I don't know how long the new stuff will last, especially some of the newer technologies, but I would guess taking care of any gear should get you a lot of years out of it.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bolted to wood under carpet... That sounds like a great way to melt your amp unless you've got some good way to ventilate it.
You misunderstand. It is bolted to wood which is below carpet. The amp is above the carpet. No ventilation issues and that thing ain't movin' either.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
There is a Rockford Fosgate Punch 150, just before the HD line came out, still going in a friend of mine's car. I used it from 1989 to 1999, and he's been using it along with a generation 3 (I think) Kicker Solobaric sub that I purchased new in 1997.

That makes it roughly 22 years for the amp and 14 years for the sub. Not bad if you ask me!

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Anybody else have any thoughts? If anyone has done a frequency response plot on an Audison LRx 5.1k I would be very interested in seeing that. Also, if someone could mention a way to do this on a computer rta program (if possible), I would be interested in trying that out.
LRx5.1k test

Kelvin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts