DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is designing his system, and getting started on buying equip, this weekend. After hearing my stereo he wants some higher end equipment than the old sony explodes he used before.

My system set at 50w x 6 on 6.5 components all the way around and 250w x 2 into a set of 12w1v2s. I can max out my volume no problem on most songs and he thinks its not loud enough..........I kinda agree. So what is really loud with the windows down and can over power the sound of a pos truck with a hole in the muffler.

Should he get a 75w 6 channel or 100-125w 4 channel? Hes kinda limited on the subs being its an old single cab small truck. But he said he likes what the imaging does with a six channel having speakers on the dash, doors, and behind. So whats loud and clean?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
It takes 10x the power achieve a 10db increase...which is perceived as only twice as loud. That means he would need 500w per channel to get twice as loud as your system using the same speakers. It takes 2x the power to gain 3db...which is considered "slightly louder". You can work on deadening the car to reduce intrusive noise and this can increase the relative output. 6-12db is possible with CLD, CCF, and MLV.

I would look for an amp in the 100-200w range and then focus on acoustic treatments.

·
Registered
66 Posts
get a power acoustik 2400 4 channel. that gives you 200 watts rms x 4. then u just need 4 nice component sets and some decent bass. if you are set on having good vocals then its a good idea. that the most power you can get for the price. i think that amp is 200 dollars, + or -

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow really 200w each ch
he figured 125w x4 would be loud enough
but def more room to play with would be good

I know for sure I can go full (tuned) volume on my system
I can listen to most songs that way
its not like its too loud that you cant stand it

When I let him listen to my system at first, the car
was parked, and I have about 40sq ft of dynamat in the car.
Its about as sound deadened as a neon can get.

I'll let him know and make sure I steer him in the right direction
for some good loud music. thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
125wrms will be more than enough.
You only need about 8-10wrms for tweeters to get dangerously loud.
Around 30-40wrms for most 3-4" midrange speakers ('general' bandwidth)
Midwoofers can take a lot more, loud low notes don't hurt as much as higher frequency ones. 125-200wrms should be ample for midwoofers in most circumstances.

If he wants to get louder paying for massive power, get more speakers - it's cheaper and more 'efficient' in most cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts