DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
Noisiest roads i ever drove is by far in Florida, they use very rough mix of seashells in their concrete mix, noisy and eating rubber fast too. In Colorado i`d say average, best in Texas AZ and CA. THere is one road in Colorado straight as an arrow 17 miles long, only place I could take my Busa to about 200Mph a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There's a section of "test" highway, near me.
Awhile back, I caught a program on the History (or maybe Science) channel, that talked about how they were testing new surfaces, to reduce road noise, for people living adjacent to major highways.
Essentially it's mostly caused by air being squished under the tires.
They created small perpendicular channels, like a grate, that's supposed to reduce the effect.
While it may reduce noise for people living along the road, I can attest, from inside the car, it's at least 10 db louder than any road I've ever driven on.
I fucking hate driving on it!:mad:
You can barely hold a conversation. It's that bad.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
They use that crap all over ca. Not only is it noisier in the car, but it causes a lot more spray from the tires when it's raining than normal asphalt. But, more and more they're using it, it's supposed to reduce maintenance costs.

One way to reduce a lot of "tire" noise is wheel skirts to reduce the air that gets in the wheel well. It's actually amazing how well this works. Downside? The vast majority of people think wheel skirts are ugly.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Just checked out my '91 Corolla sedan.

Idle - 47db
60mph - 77db
75mph - 79db

I'm on good stock size Michelin's and that was about as smooth as asphault gets around here. Car is all stock.
That's awesome. Thanks. Now looking at your #'s it's almost dead on as my Lexus. That's something else ain't it? I have newer freshly paved roads, good tread on fairly new tires. Appreciate the effort.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
2014 Kia Optima SX Turbo

Idle - 48db
65mph - 79db

Now, I have to say, I'm not quite convinced on the accuracy of the app, and will probably retest with my cheapy spl meter, and once I can replace my laptop, my omnimic.

I say this because, driving down the freeway, on both asphalt and the ribbed pavement, both yielded the same 79db average. To top it off, I turned on the stereo, and put it at 43 of 45, and it showed an average of 84db, with the phone sitting on the center console lid for all tests. So then, I took the phone, with the volume un-changed, and put the mic directly against the speaker grill in the door, and it measured 85db. I'm using a galaxy s5, and the app linked above.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That's awesome. Thanks. Now looking at your #'s it's almost dead on as my Lexus. That's something else ain't it? I have newer freshly paved roads, good tread on fairly new tires. Appreciate the effort.
There's no way my old corolla is the same as your new Lexus. I've driven an '06 RX and it was much quieter than my corolla.

I'm sure its because we are all using different devices. In the picture on the apps page some of them were reading 20db apart. I'm using a galaxy note 4.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
2014 Kia Optima SX Turbo

Idle - 48db
65mph - 79db

Now, I have to say, I'm not quite convinced on the accuracy of the app, and will probably retest with my cheapy spl meter, and once I can replace my laptop, my omnimic.

I say this because, driving down the freeway, on both asphalt and the ribbed pavement, both yielded the same 79db average. To top it off, I turned on the stereo, and put it at 43 of 45, and it showed an average of 84db, with the phone sitting on the center console lid for all tests. So then, I took the phone, with the volume un-changed, and put the mic directly against the speaker grill in the door, and it measured 85db. I'm using a galaxy s5, and the app linked above.
It should have spiked over the ribbed, no? I know when I have mine at ear level going over the concrete causeway it spikes at 82 then settles down to 78 ish on the paved afterwards. The quietest is in Marin County(lots of money so roads are better) where the roads are butter smooth and typically doesn't get over 75db. Sometimes less.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
There's no way my old corolla is the same as your new Lexus. I've driven an '06 RX and it was much quieter than my corolla.

I'm sure its because we are all using different devices. In the picture on the apps page some of them were reading 20db apart. I'm using a galaxy note 4.
HA! You should be in it.:surprised:

But I'll buy you second statement. True it's different devices that's likely the cause. But for our personal data gathering it's good enough when projects are measured before & after sound deadening on the same roads, conditions etc...

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
^ I agree, before and after measurements are the real value here. Although in my case I still don't trust my phone/app enough to make it my baseline. Especially when my amon amarth cd at near full volume only showed as 5db louder than road noise at 65 mph.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
i drive a Prius... When i am in parking lots, i often have people walk in front of the car because they don't hear me coming - its actually one of my least favorite things about my car (driving in parking lots).

Stealth.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
That is weird. Hmm. Mine showed differences between ear level, knee level and by the driver window. A smidgen quieter in the back seat when given to my kids. Maybe that has to do with their bodies acting as a dampener.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a turbo charged 1990 Acura with stiff springs, koni adjustables, poly bushings, some broken window guides in the doors and a bunch of mystery squeaks and rattles. Guess how loud it is.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I dont think I would use an app even for a baseline for this. The whole idea reminds me of the "boom stick". I bought one of those for $#!+$ and giggles and could never get repeatable results out of it. Not only that but I could have it in a car reading over 140dB on my TermLab meter and it would show about 128dB on the "boom stick". Figure I would probably get similar results with a phone app :mean:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Those things maxed out at 130dB anyways, it wouldn't be capable of reading a real SPL system. They were and IMHO still are a joke.

Sadly, my old Radio Shack meter has a similar limitation (126dB), but I'd like to think it's more accurate than that Scosche within it's measuring range (but don't we all like to believe such of items we've bought). Manual claims +/-2dB at 114dB for my Radio Shack meter. Still, hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bought it, but I was younger and knew next to nothing about it, or much else, at the time. This was nearly 15 years ago after all and I was in High School.

I remember after getting it, some of my friends had system that measured 126dB, but oddly one of them was much louder than the others. Wasn't until after that one friend went to comp and came back saying he hit 143.xx that I looking into things more and realized the limitations of my meter. LOL

·
Registered
586 Posts
Those things maxed out at 130dB anyways, it wouldn't be capable of reading a real SPL system. They were and IMHO still are a joke.

Sadly, my old Radio Shack meter has a similar limitation (126dB), but I'd like to think it's more accurate than that Scosche within it's measuring range (but don't we all like to believe such of items we've bought). Manual claims +/-2dB at 114dB for my Radio Shack meter. Still, hindsight, I probably shouldn't have bought it, but I was younger and knew next to nothing about it, or much else, at the time. This was nearly 15 years ago after all and I was in High School.

I remember after getting it, some of my friends had system that measured 126dB, but oddly one of them was much louder than the others. Wasn't until after that one friend went to comp and came back saying he hit 143.xx that I looking into things more and realized the limitations of my meter. LOL
Oddly I had readings from that meter over 130dB but those systems usually did less on my TermLab :laugh: The main problem is repeatable results. I could not get repeatable results I would trust. I mean even if its off 10dB if its always off 10dB then at least you could use it as a baseline. I know my TermLab is accurate based on side by side comparison with another TermLab and a freshly calibrated Audio Control SPL mic.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Interesting, Scoschce claims 130dB limit on it. I guess at least my Radio Shack model limits out where it claims to, hopefully it's within the accuracy spec as well, though given it's listed at 114dB specifically, it doesn't say much.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I wonder at what price point one would have to go in order to get a reputable SPL/sound mic?
This one from Parts express has got good reviews.
Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for iPhone iPad Tablet and Android

I wish I knew someone who had a good one to compare systems. Aha! I'll use my wife's Samsung and my Daughter I phone to test. Why didn't I think of that?. We have five different phones in this family.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts