DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wonder at what price point one would have to go in order to get a reputable SPL/sound mic?
This one from Parts express has got good reviews.
Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for iPhone iPad Tablet and Android

I wish I knew someone who had a good one to compare systems. Aha! I'll use my wife's Samsung and my Daughter I phone to test. Why didn't I think of that?. We have five different phones in this family.
You can set up and RTA with a laptop for about $100 and probably have something worthwhile. Plus you can use it as an RTA four tuning your system!

Scroll down on this page a little and they list what you need to get an RTA going...
TrueRTA

There is also a free program you can use with that equipment..
Room EQ Wizard

Basically what you need is...
$00 Laptop (Assuming you already have one)
$50 Measurement mic
$07 Mic cable
$43 USB mic interface

=$100 Total

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
well looks like this thread is going south a little, but I'd almost have to agree that this app need some sort of calibration for any given device. That being said, here are the dB numbers for my 2005 Ram quad cab long bed with lumber rack, powered by the powerful but not so quiet Cummins ISB.

At idle with all windows closed and dog in back-- 65 dB

At 50 mph, same as above-- 75 dB

At 60 mph -- 80 dB

At 65 mph with dog whimpering (jk) -- 85 dB

In any case, I WILL doing additional deadening as I plan an SQ upgrade this year, so at least I will have some baseline levels to compare to, which like all you guys are saying, is probably the only thing this app is good for.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You can set up and RTA with a laptop for about $100 and probably have something worthwhile. Plus you can use it as an RTA four tuning your system!

Scroll down on this page a little and they list what you need to get an RTA going...
TrueRTA

There is also a free program you can use with that equipment..
Room EQ Wizard

Basically what you need is...
$00 Laptop (Assuming you already have one)
$50 Measurement mic
$07 Mic cable
$43 USB mic interface

=$100 Total
Very cool. Thanks. Have to chew on that. First, I'll put out some feelers to see if anyone has one before dropping a Benjamin.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
well looks like this thread is going south a little, but I'd almost have to agree that this app need some sort of calibration for any given device. That being said, here are the dB numbers for my 2005 Ram quad cab long bed with lumber rack, powered by the powerful but not so quiet Cummins ISB.

At idle with all windows closed and dog in back-- 65 dB

At 50 mph, same as above-- 75 dB

At 60 mph -- 80 dB

At 65 mph with dog whimpering (jk) -- 85 dB

In any case, I WILL doing additional deadening as I plan an SQ upgrade this year, so at least I will have some baseline levels to compare to, which like all you guys are saying, is probably the only thing this app is good for.
Thanks for getting back so quick. This is about having fun with it and it's not like were forming a a future thesis/dissertation off it. Well it'll be interesting to see what the revised numbers look lime after your sound deadening is completed:)

·
Registered
586 Posts
My question to those using the app and planning on doing a before and after. Have you tried or been able get repeatable results with it?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
^^^ Yes. My daily commute is a very lengthy one of 90 miles one way. During this time I'm able to get long term repeatable results over the same lane & stretches of highways. Some.obviously quieter than others but it hasn't varied in my case.
However I may throw a wrench into it this weekend and do a comparison of my wife's Samsung 4 & IPhone just over the first ten miles of my commute. We'll see how close the specs are.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
According to your ears is that close or not even in the ball park? Do you have a quite or loud car?
Sorry, my response was to The ///Man's question on guessing how loud his car is, not my car. I will go ahead and test, but as I had posted once before, my car literally has no interior at this point in time. That and my tires are practically bald, not to mention the car could use new shocks/struts. 180K and I'm thinking they are OEM.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sorry, my response was to The ///Man's question on guessing how loud his car is, not my car. I will go ahead and test, but as I had posted once before, my car literally has no interior at this point in time. That and my tires are practically bald, not to mention the car could use new shocks/struts. 180K and I'm thinking they are OEM.
No interior! That's awesome! You might take the record for the loudest car. It'll probably defy physics and be 35 db since there's nothing to vibrate inside.:p

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah, no carpet, no center console, no passenger seat, no rear seat, no rear deck cover, no rear quarter interior panels, no floor trim panels, and no dash pad (passenger air bag is disconnected as it's exposed).

I do still have door panels though, but that's only because they are simple enough to remove for deadening later on towards Spring.

Oh, and the car still has the headliner, but no visors.:laugh:

Yeah, the car's really not worth putting so much time or any real amount of money into, I mean with 180K and a good deal of exterior rust, it really should be put to rest soon. But hey, I bought the car last year for $100 and with the exception of the stereo system (which I can and will remove when selling or scrapping the car), I've got around $600 invested in it after replacing the brakes, hubs, glove compartment latch, and doing a tune up, as well as paying for tags and sales tax.

Done some other things to the car as well, but they didn't cost anything, just my time. Soon I'll be putting lights on the safari bar, which that'll set me back around $30.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Found another use for this meter just tonight. Unrelated to care audio but sound nonetheless. Went out to take my wife to a nice restaurant as she baby sat our lovely grandson all week and she wanted a nice place to go. We chose Lucca's restaurant and requested a nice quiet corner. Lol. Wee were seated out on a brick lined covered heated patio. Nice. But on one side were six ladies well into the swing of things while on the other side was a going away party with about 15 collage kids. To say it was loud would have been an understatement. I pulled out the meter and the avg db level was 86 while the occasional spike in laughter hit 98 db. Our waiter saw our distress and moved us inside. There six guys sitting around a table were TALKING quietly. Unlike then six ladies who had to shout to be heard over each other. It was SOO nice to be inside. No sooner had we sat down that a foursome came in from the patio for the name reason. Then another couple. Became a pattern. I'm thinking 98 db. Acoustically that patio with the brick walls could seriously some acoustic panels, drapes and maybe some insulation one the metal corrugated metal roof.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My car is very loud. Lol. I am going to work on rattles, but I can't do much about the suspension squeaks and engine noises.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
My engine and exhaust aren't bad, it's the suspension and bald tires that are the main culprits I suspect that will make it noticeably louder than many other cars. There are some rattles, or should I say there were, but with majority of the interior out and no sub, rattles aren't really an issue... now. Well, I take that back, I do have my rear window broken loose, so it rattles with every little bump. Hell, you can see it visually jump up half an inch when you shut the door if the windows are up, due the the pressure in the car. Before removing my sub, I was able to see the rear window jump 1/8-3/16 of an inch along the top edge with heavier bass. And that was with a Polk MM1540 in a sealed downward firing enclosure getting no more than 150RMS or so. I'll tell you, downward firing will make everything that can rattle, do so. This is why there's no sub nor interior, as deadening is to be put in this spring.

Back on topic, I can't download the APP the OP used, so I can't take any measurements using said APP. I can however use my Radio Shack meter and then half a dozen or so APPS on my iPod. Weather is a bit nasty, it's cold with snow on the ground, so I'm not about to mess around with the car. Sorry, but I'm a HUGE wimp when it comes to the cold, I blame poor blood circulation. My hands and feet are near ice cold year round, or so it seems. Heat on the other hand I've got no problems with, hell I still wear an M65 field jacket when it's triple digits.

Another tidbit about me, this car is the first I've had with working A/C, LOL.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Truck - a wheeled vehicle for moving heavy articles: as
a : a strong horse-drawn or automotive vehicle (as a pickup) for hauling

Pickup - a small truck with an enclosed cab and open back.

Car - a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people.

:laugh:

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Well, given I couldn't download the app to use, I went ahead and used apps I already had and my SPL meter as well. Didn't do anything but the measurement of the car at idle, but here are the results.

Ambient temperature - 53*

Device used - iPod Touch 4th gen

Apps used and levels measured

JL Audio App - 49.4dB

Decibel meter (free) - 62dB Average 72dB PEAK (think it registered the clicking of the button on the iPod)

dB Volume - 50dB weighting off

Sound Level - 54dB

SPL Spectrum analyzer - 47.xx dB

Etani RTA - 43.28

RTA Lite - 44dB

I also used my Radio Shack SPL meter, which go the following results;

64dB with C weighting (32Hz-10kHz)

N/A - too low of a reading with A weighting (500Hz to 10kHz)

Meter's range is from 50-126dB

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
This app has other uses too... I decided to use it on my girlfriend the other day while she was napping. She runs a white noise app with her phone, it registered at 20db. But her snoring spiked it to 51db! She wasn't as excited to figure that out as I was :/

Edit: that means she snores louder than my car idles ...
Now that's funny....:D You just gave me an idea...:laugh:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
This app has other uses too... I decided to use it on my girlfriend the other day while she was napping. She runs a white noise app with her phone, it registered at 20db. But her snoring spiked it to 51db! She wasn't as excited to figure that out as I was :/

Edit: that means she snores louder than my car idles ...
That is funny. This could get my stupid a$$ in trouble.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts