DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Lexus GS 300
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I need an amp to power a pair of focal ES 165 KX2s 100 watts rms and a Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D4 12" sub rated at 600 watts Rms. Would It be better to get more channels than I need so I can bridge the channels to get more watts to my sub? Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi I need an amp to power a pair of focal ES 165 KX2s 100 watts rms and a Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D4 12" sub rated at 600 watts Rms. Would It be better to get more channels than I need so I can bridge the channels to get more watts to my sub? Thanks
I've got the 10" D2 version of that sub, definitely give it a good amount of power, 500 at least. I'd go with a mono sub amp and a good 4 channel amp. The 4 channel you can use 2 ways bridge each pair to give those Focals plenty of power or use 2 channels for now leaving the other 2 open to upgrade to an active 2 way setup (adding a DSP) if you choose to down the line. Either way you're covering your butt with options and upgradeablity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
You are running a coaxial?

·
Registered
2004 Lexus GS 300
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the 10" D2 version of that sub, definitely give it a good amount of power, 500 at least. I'd go with a mono sub amp and a good 4 channel amp. The 4 channel you can use 2 ways bridge each pair to give those Focals plenty of power or use 2 channels for now leaving the other 2 open to upgrade to an active 2 way setup (adding a DSP) if you choose to down the line. Either way you're covering your butt with options and upgradeablity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I have a Kenwood X500-1 That I bought to push the sub but all the shops keep pushing me to just use one amp to run everything from. Problem with that is most of the multi channel amps they suggest only have an average of 350 watts dedicated to the sub and my sub is a dual voice coil 4 ohm version rated at 600 watts RMS so I feel thats just not enough to power it correctly, Im sure they know it too they just dont give a shit. I need to learn about bridging, is there a section on this site devoted to educating poor newbies such as myself like Car Audio for dummies?

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
I have a Kenwood X500-1 That I bought to push the sub but all the shops keep pushing me to just use one amp to run everything from. Problem with that is most of the multi channel amps they suggest only have an average of 350 watts dedicated to the sub and my sub is a dual voice coil 4 ohm version rated at 600 watts RMS so I feel thats just not enough to power it correctly, Im sure they know it too they just dont give a shit. I need to learn about bridging, is there a section on this site devoted to educating poor newbies such as myself like Car Audio for dummies?
FWIW: Your desire to use a separate amp for the sub seems sound to me.

Which shops have you went to?
Ones that were recommended by people in your area?

·
Registered
2004 Lexus GS 300
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW: Your desire to use a separate amp for the sub seems sound to me.

Which shops have you went to?
Ones that were recommended by people in your area?
No just ones in my area. Lotts, Kartunes, Central Coast and Loui's.

·
Registered
2004 Lexus GS 300
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After much thought I have decided not to go through with this project. I cant find anyone to do what I want and even if I did the cost will equal the value of my car. So I think I will just take the money I saved for this, sell my car with its shitty sound system and buy another car that has a decent stock system. I want to thank everyone for their help and I will continue to visit this site because I still want to educate myself on the subject.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
After much thought I have decided not to go through with this project. I cant find anyone to do what I want and even if I did the cost will equal the value of my car. So I think I will just take the money I saved for this, sell my car with its shitty sound system and buy another car that has a decent stock system. I want to thank everyone for their help and I will continue to visit this site because I still want to educate myself on the subject.
Some cars are also quieter than others...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts