DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on here for months, and finally had a system specific question. I'm currently running jl audio 0 gauge 2 amp kit to infinity kappa four and kappa five. I'm switching the kappa five to my wife's car adding a kappa one, a kenwood kac-8404, and a ms-8 to the kappa four. Total RMS will be around 1,600 and amps 225. Would my current run of 0 gauge be sufficient (using all 20 ft at the moment if I remember correctly) with a stinger shd821 distribution block to run everything? Also will a 30amp fuse on the ms-8 be alright it recommends 25? (had some trouble in the past with digital eq's blowing up). Oh yeah 2008 gmc Sierra with no big 3 upgrade (yet) and stock alternator (145 or 160amp).

P.S. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum as it has helped me immensely over the last 9 months. After my move next week I'll have a garage and hopefully can give some back with a build log.
-Truth-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Looks like I should be good (ish) with the 0 gauge, but what about the fuse on the ms-8. My current, not to be named brand, digital eq is fused at the exact fuse size and wire guage recommended and has blown twice in six weeks. To top it off they refuse to honor their warranty even though it was purchased through an authorized retailer. Been a nightmare that I'm going to end up losing a lot of money on. Had great experience with Harmon Audio's warranties thus the 3 infinity amps I own and switch to ms-8.

·
Registered
898 Posts
"Total RMS will be around 1,600 and amps 225"

0_o what are your amps?? THAT IS ALLOT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir. Both times it blew, or should I say permanently freezes, was after install with the engine runnig. The first time they fixed it they only "rebooted" the software for $100 and I think they just ignored the real problem, but I could be wrong. The company has a good track record, my experience has just not been so good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Total RMS will be around 1,600 and amps 225"

0_o what are your amps?? THAT IS ALLOT.

Infinity kappa four 4x125rms 2x40amp fuse (mt-23 and mw144), kappa one 1x800 3x40amp fuse (Dayton ho 12? Not yet purchased), kenwood kac-8404 bridged 2x168? 1x40amp fuse (cdt es-06) , and the ms-8 is recommends 25 amp fuse.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Infinity kappa four 4x125rms 2x40amp fuse (mt-23 and mw144), kappa one 1x800 3x40amp fuse (Dayton ho 12? Not yet purchased), kenwood kac-8404 bridged 2x168? 1x40amp fuse (cdt es-06) , and the ms-8 is recommends 25 amp fuse.

One very good power wire and fuse selection assistant is the "System Power Design Assistant" at WIRE

One strange thing about those Infinity Kappa amplifiers is that their fuses seem overrated for the rated power. Either these Infinity Kappa amplifiers are capable of providing more power than the ratings or the fuse ratings are quite conservative.. These ratings are not consistent with the calculators from the web site above or with the fuse ratings on other class D amplifiers (e.g. PPI Phantom 4-channel, Boston GTA-1000m mono block, etc).

In any case.. if the combined fuse ratings of all of your amplifiers are close to say 200amps, it's not like you will always need a high output alternator and 1 gauge wire. The amplifier fuses are rated for the current that will be used with all amplifier channels running at their maximum capacity. If you use 4 ohm speakers instead of 2 ohm, and you do not drive the amp channels into clipping, then your electric current needs will be a lot more modest. The web site above has very good calculators for a ballpark estimates.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks azn and zakoh that website is very helpful. I also noticed the fuse rating were a little suspect when I ran the numbers for the kappa one. With 120amp worth of fuses even at 12 volts it'd be able to put out over 1,400 watts, way more than it actually does. I can't remember if those calculations yield RMS or max though.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Your never ever going to see that kind and is way beyond the actual. FYI the fuses are ALWAYS rated for bridged/ 2 ohm loads. You are running them at 4 ohm loads, thus less fusing needed and better efficiency.

Hell I run HAT l6's , tweets and subs all on different channels on my ZED LEV and only using a 50 amp fuse WITHOUT busting the fuse at full blown output below clipping. I know its very efficient but just showing that his is way out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts