DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are rated at 50 watts RMS (200 peak). I'm debating between two same brand amps, one that puts out 75x2 and another that's 125x2 at 4 ohms. Would 125 watts per channel be too much for these to handle?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
i am going through the same thing with my ppi 355 set. they rate them at 50 watts a side but im going to bi amp them and give each of the tweets ~50w and each of the mids ~100w. not sure if the pioneer set is bi-ampable but if they are do what Falkenbd said. it should handle the power just fine. just mind the volume knob a bit. :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i put 150wrms a side into just the mids and 50Wrms a side into the tweets.

and that was TRU and Sinfoni power.

for months and months.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
They are rated at 50 watts RMS (200 peak). I'm debating between two same brand amps, one that puts out 75x2 and another that's 125x2 at 4 ohms. Would 125 watts per channel be too much for these to handle?
Welcome Mears! There aren't too many of us Denver-Metro area guys here.

Get as much power as you can afford. Once you've read up a little, you'll learn that watts directly correlate with volume. As long as you're listening to reasonable volumes, you won't cook your speakers. The problem comes from people using low powered amps, cranking the gains and driving the speakers with a significantly clipped signal.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Ive got 230x2 going to mine. Bridged memphis belle. I run them hard in my cobra convertible and they have never complained

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Get as much power as you can afford. Once you've read up a little, you'll learn that watts directly correlate with volume. As long as you're listening to reasonable volumes, you won't cook your speakers. The problem comes from people using low powered amps, cranking the gains and driving the speakers with a significantly clipped signal.

X2 big time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How are you powering the tweets and mids separately? Are you foregoing the bundled crossover and hooking straight up into the amp(s)? If so, won't the amp only see an 8ohm load on its channels?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I used run the 720 mids with 100 watts each and I wished I had at least double that. I could drive the amp into clipping and still wanted more volume sometimes, but had no mechanical noise from the speaker which tells me it could have taken a lot more power. Plus that 50 watt rating is probably if running full range, once you run them from say 80hz on up, they'll take way more power.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after doing a bit more research, I'm strongly considering a bi-amp approach with 200 watts on the mids and 75 on the tweets. Can someone confirm the impedance of the mids and tweets. I was under the impression that they were 8-ohm, but I would need 4 ohm on both to bi-amp.

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,390 Posts
I am currently running the same set and the factory XOvers are not bi-amplable, you are going to have to either go active or change the passives out. As to power, I was running a single Aura RPM 2300 to each side bridged and they were ok. Just be smart about it and dont go crazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was running the set with a soundstream Rubicon 502 which is spec'd at 100x2 @ 4 ohms conservatively. They sounded great and were plenty loud for me

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I did search.
The mids are 4 ohm for sure. I believe the tweeters are 4 ohm as well. I've owned several sets of these.

·
Registered
768 Posts
the 110 from my pdx would make mine smell pretty bad after a long hard beatdown. but they still work fine after a couple of years of spanking them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts