DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating on adding a tube amp from butler to my future system I currently have a mcintosh mc425
and i've been going around to different forums and i have been hearing how much better tube amps sound better than solid state amps and regular ones
if anyone has any experience could you please tell me the differnce

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have been contemplating on adding a tube amp from butler to my future system I currently have a mcintosh mc425
and i've been going around to different forums and i have been hearing how much better tube amps sound better than solid state amps and regular ones
if anyone has any experience could you please tell me the differnce
Tube amps have a warmer sound than solid state, that a fair # of people prefer.

If you like vinyl, you'll like tubes.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
TRU Technology used to have hybrid tube amps. Not sure if they sell them anymore. Heard they were great!
New model to come out soon... ;)

Lots of people say that the new billet walks all over the old C7 series... Just can't wait to listen to the new Copper version.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Ohh yes, tube...
Well I have a Milbert and the main advantage to have tubes is the mellow sound in the midrange frequencies. Can't really tell you much about it. I just like it better than any other amp.

You should try to listen by yourself to have a precise idea - go to a home audio shop and have a listen to a tube amp vs a transistor one. You'll understand what I mean ;)

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

PS: Tubes are no good for midbass... Sounds like phase issues

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Tubes have different characteristics when in distress, if your tube amp sounds THAT much different than a SS amp when operated in a linear fashion then it's transformers are of inferior quality.

NOW where they CAN and Will sound different is driving a rather reactive load. the output impedance needs to be matched, this is why transformers have a 4,8,16 ohm tap, if the speaker radically changes in it's impedance curve it can "push around" the transformer and make the resulting output sound different. Again, REALLY GOOD transformers are resistant to this for the most part.

and my final comment.... tubes simply do not belong in cars.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Tube amps have a warmer sound than solid state, that a fair # of people prefer.

If you like vinyl, you'll like tubes.
Can you describe these correlations?

·
Registered
584 Posts
That's very informative, Chad.

·
Registered
311 Posts
TRU did make an ALL TUBE also. Too bad only a few were made.

HSS Fedility has one all tube, Milbert is a hybrid unfortunately.

The billet being better than the coppers? I beg to differ.

·
Registered
584 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Yes, but I don't fault you for it.
At least I'm not throwing out blanket statements about products I don't own.... because I indeed own a Victrola, Might anyone know where I can get a pink noise disc for it so I can do an RTA on that Bad Oscar? :D

Hopefully you are grasping my sarcasm :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The magik is in the toobz!

Tubes in the home produce truly magical vocals. The thing is, you can duplicate (or very nearly) the sound in the car with things like BBE processing. This is much cheaper than a very underpowered and obscenely expensive all-tube amp.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Maybe a custom Billet with the Stage II upgrade. Then they would be running mostly the same parts anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
TRU did make an ALL TUBE also. Too bad only a few were made.

HSS Fedility has one all tube, Milbert is a hybrid unfortunately.

Milbert = hybrid? I don't think so...
Ok it is not a real Class A like the HSS but the Milbert being an hybrid amp?

For the billet/copper statement, I'm only repeating what I've read in a few threads. Even talked to a Tru dealer once, and his feelings were similar.
I said C7, not the hybrid C7 nor the tube C7. C7 solid state...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts