DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
How much CLD like Damplifier is needed on a door to stop vibration and reduce road noise? Do you need to do the whole door and panel? I read here that only 25% of the door needs to be covered; is this true, or will the additional Damplifier reduce road noise even further?

How many square feet of CLD is necessary to reduce vibration/resonance in a door? Would 5 sq ft. per door be sufficient for this purpose?

·
Registered
707 Posts
How much CLD like Damplifier is needed on a door to stop vibration and reduce road noise? Do you need to do the whole door and panel? I read here that only 25% of the door needs to be covered; is this true, or will the additional Damplifier reduce road noise even further?
I think you should search for this and maybe post it in the

The Dumb Question forum - DIY Mobile Audio

A forum for people new to mobile audio to ask anything they like, no matter how simple or searchable the answer might be

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Killing vibrations and resonating panels is different than killing road noise. About 25% is all you need to kill vibrations, if you want to kill road noise you need to add more mass. You could do this will enough dynamat, but there are more efficient ways of doing it.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
25% coverage and add more if something is still buzzing. To kill road noise you need a vinyl blocker. Ideal material would be lead but naturally that would be heavy and cost a fortune.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is luxury liner pro mass loaded vinyl?
Yes it's a vinyl barrier w/ a foam decoupler adhered to it. If you want to do it yourself there is also the separate components (foam and vinyl) available at SDS.

So to reduce road noise - put this (decoupled MLV) inside the door panel then? This is a goal of mine - less road noise!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But if you have to put mlv on top of a cld, and mlv should totally cover a panel, then doesn't that mean you're going to be adding a lot more cld than just 25%? How does that fix the problem of cld overuse when what you really want is noise reduction?

·
Registered
243 Posts
I started off with 25% coverage and after a couple of weeks decided that I was not happy with the SQ. I proceeded to cover all 3 surfaces the best that I could and seal every hole possible. The SQ was worth every bit of the work. It was like night and day, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestion. My doors resonate a lot, so I'll try using more. I hope 10 square feet of Damplifier is enough for two coupe-type doors!

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Re: How many sq ft of CLD for door?

Depends on your car, specific goals and the material you decide to use.
In most cases, to get the most out of your door speaker, and out of your vibration damper.

The better the product you use, the less material you will need to reduce vibrations in the sheet metal.
More product will ALWAYS out perform less of the same product, but one the point of diminishing returns kicks in, the gains start costing more.

Consider that an average door is about 2.5' x 3.5'
That is just under 9 sq feet per skin or 18 sq feet total for both doors.
You wont be able to access the entire inside skin of the door, so lets knock it down to 16 sq feet total surface area.

I'd start out with 4-6 sq feet per skin and see how close that gets you to your goals.
Some people will be happy with that amount, but depending onthe intensity of the mid bass in your door and the design of the door you might need more vibration damper than this.

Also consider using a gasketing foam to isolate the rattles in the door upholstery.
Hope that helps
ANT

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: How many sq ft of CLD for door?

Thanks for the help. I recently bought 10 sq feet of Damplifier, so I'll start with 5 sq feet on each door split between the door skin and inner panel. I drive a Mini Cooper so the doors are larger than average... hopefully it'll be enough!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts