DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent $200/pr for my midranges, $200/pr for my midbasses, $100 (used) for my sub...

And I'm leaving the stock tweeters in. :D

Actually, they look like sturdy ****ers and are not overly-bright. For those two reasons alone, I feel I share a kinship with them.

And if I don't like how they fit with the rest of the system, I've got a little set of ND20's and a big set of a/d/s/ 3-series tweeters ready to replace them. [Oh, and a set of Vifa XT25's, that I didn't particularly like but would use anyway because I think tweeters are overrated :p]

·
Registered
421 Posts
I disagree From 400hz up is the heart of your system. tweeters give to detail, some thing that you will not get from midbass, or midrange. do this drive around with just your midbass and midrange see if you can stand it, then drive around with the tweeter to any one of the drivers and see which sounds the best?

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think my contention is that the difference between tweeter A and tweeter B is typically going to have less of an impact than midrange A and midrange B, or midbass A and midbass B. There are some obvious exceptions. I've heard tweeters here and there that are tough to tame...either because they're too shrill and nasty, or fall off too rapidly by the time you hit ~8kHz or so. But, having lived with these stock tweeters in the stock system for the past 5 months, I'm pretty confident that they'll do the 4-5kHz and up job that I'll be asking them to do.

And...they require no modification to fit. :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well you have to know what you are looking for in a tweeter. I do not like a harsh tweeter, so i stay away from aluminum and focal tweeters, and tend to go with silk tweeters, Have you heard the morel piccolos? very smooth very detailed at the same time, And i have tried a lot of tweeters before staying with these. And Tweeter A and B can be a night and day difference in a great sounding system.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I think tweeters make a big difference depending on how theyre set up and what frequencies they play.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It depends what type of music you listen to.

For example the whole alubm of 808's and Heartbeat's you don't even need a set of twett's

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
but NO-ONE will EVER hear it :D
Some Tweeters that say they play up to 20 kHz fall off a cliff long before they get there. I think if they're capable of playing frequencies higher than 20 kHz the roll off isn't as severe and that there is a noticeable difference. I mentioned the Illuminator because it has a much better high frequency dispersion than the Revelator.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And most cars will never see their top speed. But it means the driver (or car) won't be working as hard in the area that matters.
I don't get the analogy. What does "work hard" mean in the context of a tweeter? A tweeter that can play up to 30kHz with no attenuation is not going to do better at 20kHz than a tweeter that can play up to 20kHz with no attenuation.

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
So the DRZ reads CD's encoded at over 44.1? and if so to get this feature are you recording the media yourself on a device that encodes at more than 44.1? Because converting 44.1 to 96 ain't gonna make the **** over 20K magically appear ;)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
So the DRZ reads CD's encoded at over 44.1? and if so to get this feature are you recording the media yourself on a device that encodes at more than 44.1? Because converting 44.1 to 96 ain't gonna make the **** over 20K magically appear ;)

Now imagine all the magic that appears with the Denon Z1 that does 192 khz.;)

Jorge.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts