DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have the G, L, C or W 18RNX drivers - How much power are you running to them? Please note if you think they can handle more or if you're pushing them to there limits.

I'm trying to get a feel of how much power they can handle.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
230 Posts
G18's ran active off the alpine 9833 HU's internal amp (temp) and they sound great. Plenty of power for normal listening and freeway driving.

I plan to power the G18's and LPG 25NFA's off the DLS a4 in the future.

Dave

·
Registered
584 Posts
Wow.

My jaw just hit the desk. I always thought they demanded somewhere at least 100 watts.

·
Registered
344 Posts
60rms @ 8 ohms (120 @ 4ohms)...Xtant 2200i, love that amp

My poor paper cone ca18's got a tad wet once and the cone deteriorates...gets creases and looses rigidity...= buzz distortion noise in lower midrange (200-600) at any hard driven level.

I never seem to push them to mechanical limits though, pretty sweet (even at 60hz @ 12db/oct).

Mark

·
Registered
255 Posts
This is great news!!

I was planning 80WRMS from a Next 2.400 but I have a 4.400 for the tweets. Might just take the other channel push 40WRMS to see output level and keep the 2.400 for woofer use.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am using a modded C2K 6.0 to run my L18s. From my experience I will have to strongly agree with everyone on here saying 50-60 Wrms should be plenty of power.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you guys think 125 watts is a little overkill? Sure i'll have headroom, but If I can get the g's to sound great off 45 watts, I rather use my big amp for the sub. God I hate winter - I want to get these babies in my truck already.

·
Registered
255 Posts
considering they are rated at 110... I'd think 125 is overkill

·
Registered
553 Posts
IMHO, there's no such thing as overkill when it comes to power. You can always reign in the amp's output with the gains if you drive the speaker to it's physical limits. I've found speaker power ratings to vary so much that they are basically meaningless. I'd recommend getting as much power as you can afford/have room for, then backing it down, if necessary. Too little power is a much bigger problem than too much.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Right, I guess the hole point is not to spend money on power that you won't need.

Why buy a 200WRMS amp when 60WRMS is all you need?? More of an economical issue I guess.

·
Registered
415 Posts
coming from ~40 @ 8 ohms to ~150 @ 8 ohms, I know im not going back. ~40 watts got loud and sounded pretty good loud, but 100+ keeps its composure a little better at louder listening levels.. anything around 100+ watts is perfect, IMO.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I plan on powering mine via a DLS Ultimate A3, so 80 watts per channel at 8 ohms

·
Registered
1 Posts
I plan on bridging 4 of my channels on my a/d/s ph30.2 to get about 2x125 @ 8 ohms for my L18's. I was worried that it wouldn't suffice, but now I'm glad I read this thread. That leaves me with 2 channels for my tweets. As soon as I get em.

Pano

1 - 19 of 19 Posts