DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neighbor is back to working on his truck.

He has 2 of the Polk mm series 10's. Both 4 ohms so we are going to wire them up to make a 2 ohm load.

He has a older vega mono block that does around [email protected]

He called and told me he needs more power.

I never run 2 subs so I can't say. The subs handle 375rms each.

Do we or don't we need more power?

He just bought a new ppi phantom 4 channel and I think he is dying to get the matching mono so who knows if it matters but I would like to hear so I can tell him

I usually run just 1 sub and always have 500 or more but I am nit a bass head

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
how much power you need is mostly personal preference. if he wants a couple more dB, then get more power. if those subs are 375RMS, then 300watts each is all i would run for a daily driver. if you run them at 100% potential all the time, they will wear out.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply.

The subs will be wired together showing the amp a final load of 2 ohms

If the amp puts out 600 rms @2 ohms then is each sub getting 300 rms?

That is what I need to know to tell him.

I just never run 2 subs so I don't want to misinform him.

Somehow he has read that he needs 700 or more to run these subs but he has somehow doubled the rated rms to come to this conclusion.

Since I haven't run 2 I don't want totell him wrong

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
I'm currently running two MM 12s at about 500 watts and they sound just fine, I'm about to double that though.

He can run more power to them if he isn't happy with the output. But like Minbari said, the more you run at full throttle the less time you'll get out of them.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I'm currently running two MM 12s at about 500 watts and they sound just fine, I'm about to double that though.

He can run more power to them if he isn't happy with the output. But like Minbari said, the more you run at full throttle the less time you'll get out of them.
not to mention the difference between 600watts and 1000 watts is only about 2dB. you cant even hear that.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
not to mention the difference between 600watts and 1000 watts is only about 2dB. you cant even hear that.
Plus that extra 2dbs is likely going to present itself as distortion. These things boast an 1" of Xmax. Dont get me wrong they will jump out the box, but the SQ goes south when they really get moving.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excuse the noon question but the guy wants me to find this out.

[email protected] 2 ohm load. 2 subs wired to make that 2 ohm load.

How much power is each daub getting with that amp load ?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, thats what he needed to know.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am running a single mm10 off of 200 wrms and it is plenty loud and maintains complete control.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you have to understand this guy is really anal and has spent about $800 on crap from local brick and mortar and it was crap and sounded like crap so now everything we do is like under a micro .

he ordered the PPI 1000.1 now....

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
One easy way to spec the power needs of a driver is to load it into WinISD, specifying any box type you want to use, and then switch into SPL chart. In the signal section keep adding wattage until the sub SPL reaches 105dB at 50Hz. Compare this wattage figure to something you have already heard. For example, my current subwoofer, Infinity Kappa 12, is running on 250watt RMS amplifier and there is a ton of output. By translation, if I see a competing product that I want to run off the same amplifier, I just load both into WinISD and compare their sensitivity this way. This has told me for example, that I have enough power to run subs like IDQv3 and Alpine Type R (12 inch) even though my amp provides half of the subs RMS power. On the other hand, SA-12 and Dayton HO12 DVC will need quite a bit more (the later waay more, terrible sensitivity, IMO)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts