DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished up installing my new seas alum. dome tweeters (forgot modeal number, but they are popular so you know what im talking about).

i know what there power ratings are, but i would like to know what is a decent amount of power i can throw at them crossed at 4k on a 24/db slope, with the level at -2/db (i believe the word is attenuated). they have maybe 30 minutes on them right now, so i guess they are still breaking in.

i had a set of vc100's and was giving them roughly 75w, at 2.5k on a 24/db slope and they are done for. i was playing "shot through the heart" for a buddy, got the 800prs up to 50, and after about 10 seconds, they went out.

im thinking i had them crossed to low, with little break in time, but personally for tweeters i dont see how you can really break them in with what little suspensions they have. but i see everyone else tlaking about break in time so i might now become a believer.

any help is greatly appreciated.

and btw, i love them so far...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wouldnt worry about what? id like to know what would be a sufficient amount of power for there break in period, and then what i could throw at them daily after break in...

im running a sundown 100.4 fyi

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whys that, its a catchy song with great instrument calaboration.

i see zaph said these should have no problem crossing over at 2k can anyone back that up

and he also didnt mention any power, which im still looking for an answer...

·
Registered
555 Posts
i have mine at 2.5k/24 with 25wattsx2 with the gain at min and they are as loud as i could ever want them to be and ii have an 880 too

damn 75 watts and vol at 50? are you deaf? lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well... if they fried you were giving them too much power over time. So either you turn down the gains, buy new tweeters that can handle more power, or fry them again. You could have a 200w amp hooked up to them and they'd be fine with gains set properly and judicious volume control. The last part is key though; these tweeters obviously don't meet your volume needs or your gains were set wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts