DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much power can i put to a pair of Ascendant Audio Avalanche 15? i have 500w each going to them now but i am changing amps and want to know how much can they take daily and AND NOT BLOW THEM. i put that there because the other forum sent 26 post with answers 3 million 2 trillion and a bunch of bull like that and never answered the question it's funny the first time but 20 something times is not funny anymore. thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Music you can likely run over what they are rated for. But if you beat them and play bass music, then I can't recommend more than rated. Is also likely you would be better off with a larger amp and gains set right than a smaller amp you clip hard, but in the end it depends on how you use them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Box type will have a hand in power handling.

Mechanical and thermal are what gives you power handling. The right enclosure design with proper implementation of a SSF will keep excursion in control (mechanical).

Music is largely dynamic so quick doses of high power will not cook your coil. Like SQ said, playing tone heavy music causes the coil to heat up and it can only take so much.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear. But without knowing enclosure and listening tastes, it would be irresponsible to state X watts. Would hate for you to blow a sub/s based on my idiotic advice on power amounts.:D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i understand. let me explain more. i have this thing about wanting my amps to be the same size. my current mid tweet amp is a little weak and i want to up grade to more power. of course the smaller mono (700watts) for the amp i want is shorter than the full range but the bigger of the mono amps (1500 wants) is the same size. my current amps the gain is about 2:30 maybe about 65 %. the box the 15's are in is 2.1cu ft each. in a suburban i listen to rap r&b old school soul neo soul and death metal:confused: (i love the drums.)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Sealed or ported enclosure?

You should be fine with a 1500 watt amp. That is only 750 watts per sub.

You have room. I had a lot of fun helping my son with our old Suburban when he drove it for a while.

Make sure you get an amp with a sub sonic filter (highpass crossover to cut out the low low bass). It will protect your subs, reduce the workload on your amp and cut the power requirements required by the amp.

Possibly consider if it's not, going to a ported enclosure. That will get you the most out of your subs.

Doubling power on a sub nets only a 3 db increase in output.
doubling subs on same power nets only a 3 db increase in output.

So if you double the power on your existing set up, odds are you will have only a 3 db increase in output. And if I read correctly, you want to go from 500 watts a sub (1000 watt amp) to a 1500 watt amp? I just want to warn you that the increase in output is going to be less than 3db. Not very much of an increase. Just wanted to warn you.

My son's friend went this route among several and he keeps being unhappy because he wants more but makes knee jerk decisions and then is angry at the wasted time and money.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Looked at the subs in unibox based of specs I found.

Jesus. Put these subs in your house. They appear to be amazing.

5 cubic foot enclosure ported tuned to 25 hertz would be ridiculous in the low end department. Excursion is minimal. Use SSF to keep it down below 20 hertz. you could run 1000 watts apiece, and have room for more. Hopefully thermally you would be fine. it looks it as guys in the home theater world are running lottsa watts on them.

Redesign enclosure, 2kw amp. call it day while you boom around. Get an alarm to keep what's yours yours.;)

Give a look to pro audio 10's for your front doors. Do a search for Treetop in this site and look at his install on his Tahoe. He went High Efficiency. To keep up with your subs, I would as well. You will love what a good midbass will add to your enjoyment. AND you don't have to break the bank to do it.

Or you could sell me those two subs for a dollar. That's right a whole dollar. I know. Probably to much. But I am always willing to help.:D

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the box is sealed. i'm running tang band widebanders in front with Exodus Anarchy 6.5 in sealed pods in the doors. the bigger amp isn't about getting louder but about if i get an amp that has a little more power i don't want to mess up those subs. but thinking about this i might just get a matching 4 channel and bridge it and send one amp to the wideband and one amp to the mid.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looked at the subs in unibox based of specs I found.

Jesus. Put these subs in your house. They appear to be amazing.

5 cubic foot enclosure ported tuned to 25 hertz would be ridiculous in the low end department. Excursion is minimal. Use SSF to keep it down below 20 hertz. you could run 1000 watts apiece, and have room for more. Hopefully thermally you would be fine. it looks it as guys in the home theater world are running lottsa watts on them.

Redesign enclosure, 2kw amp. call it day while you boom around. Get an alarm to keep what's yours yours.;)

Give a look to pro audio 10's for your front doors. Do a search for Treetop in this site and look at his install on his Tahoe. He went High Efficiency. To keep up with your subs, I would as well. You will love what a good midbass will add to your enjoyment. AND you don't have to break the bank to do it.

Or you could sell me those two subs for a dollar. That's right a whole dollar. I know. Probably to much. But I am always willing to help.:D

are you saying 5cu ft total shared air space ported or 5cu ft each sub ported.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Single chamber. You can go bigger but after port volume it can already get pretty big. Plus the smaller enclosure helps keep the excursion down a bit. Not that there is an issue with the smaller sealed. the roll off should match your cabin gain in the burban pretty well. Just if you want "more", porting is the way to go.

Dollar offer is still on the table.:D

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sometimes ive liked sealed better for getting "more" just because at least with my smaller setups there seems to be more vibration and feeling to it. The sealed to me gets more feeling bass with less ear hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts