DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finding an installer that actually knows how to turn a system isnt easy. Oh sure, if asked, most say, "sure, I can turn your system." Except they don't have access to an RTA, if they even know what one is. Really, how is it a dumbass like me knows more about car audio then more then a couple shop owners I've met. Why do they smile and nod when I say I'm driving my front stage active, then have to explain 3 or 4 times why I don't have seperate crossovers!
Obviously, not every shop is run by knuckleheads, but it really seams finding a good shop next to impossible. I realize 75% of their costumers just want a new HU, maybe some 2 way speakers thrown in the door, and sometimes even an amp.

I guess I don't understand at least trying to understand everything you can about your chosen profession. I'm not saying I'm some audio wiz....that's why I want someone to tune my system, I'd even pay extra if I could watch and ask questions.

Here in Sacramento a well known place is Paradyme. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but.....ready for this?

$120 hr/ 3 hour min to tune a system!!! Thats $360!!! Does anyone else think that's alittle much? I would think about half that much is reasonable. Even $200, maybe alittle more.
But $360?!?!
Anyone within an hour or so of Sacramento that could do the job? Or point me toward a shop that could?

-Uglypedro
(steve)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think that is a bit much. But it also depends on your system. Is your front stage two way or three way? Three way would be much more because it is tougher to tune.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've seen competition level tuning done on the high end at about 200+ dollars an hour. I've also seen the same level of tuning done for some beer and a pack of crunchy tacos.

If you have the ability to save various tunings on your processor, a good way to get a tune is to go to car audio get togethers or comps and demo your system. It is the equivalent of popping the engine cover on an old school VW bug. Sooner or later, a group will gather and opinions will be thrown, arguments will ensue and tinkering will commence. It is the nature of the SQ Beast.

·
Registered
649 Posts
when I first got into car audio several installers in the area (mid 90's) swore up and down that all a tweeter did was go "tttsssssss" and that any old tweeter would work.

Of course at the time Bobby Brown was having "My Perogative", UB40 was singing about some Red Red Wine, and Bobby Mcphearon was telling us to "Don't worry, Be Happy". So perhaps at that time all they did was go "ttttssssss".

They had no answer for me when I asked them if it sounded the same if a drummer hit a tophat, or if he hit a triangle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it made a difference, 3 way or 2, it was "$120 per hour with a three hour min". He "seemed" like he really knew his shit, but for $360?......maybe it comes with a happy ending?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I don't think it made a difference, 3 way or 2, it was "$120 per hour with a three hour min". He "seemed" like he really knew his shit, but for $360?......maybe it comes with a happy ending?
I sure hope so, i'd ask to make sure ;) tell him, no happy ending, no go. but really...with google and a credit card...you can learn anything

·
Registered
239 Posts
matbe you should go there right this min. theres a meca show as we speak and you could talk to guys and show what you have and they tell you what to improve. tuning is half the fun and if your into this and its your car you have all the time in the world to sit and play with everything. your willing to pay 200 for a couple of hours well why not pay yourself. you dont have to have an rta to tune yes to get best results but you dont have to have one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What everyone HAS to understand is that you are NOT the norm. The amount of people who really car about a high quality sounding setup are outnumbered at least 10,000 to 1 by people who don't know or care; they just want to know if their iPod will work with their new deck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
but if he isnt the norm why not just buy an rta? you can find them for not to much more than the price of paying someone to tune..

·
(((((((In Stereo)))))))
1,326 Posts
...why not just buy an rta? you can find them for not to much more than the price of paying someone to tune..
Zackly!

Just because someone tunes your car w/ an RTA doesn't mean they'll measure accurately, or that they'll tune it to your liking. IMO, it makes more sense (and cents) to invest the time and money and do it yourself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, right after my last post I left to run some errends and ended up driving past Paradyme and sure enough, they were having a stereo contest in the parking lot! Of course, I arrived just after they handed out the trophies and everyone was packing up and leaving. I made an attempt to talk to the guy that won for SQ, but he seemed in a hurry and split, as did everyone else. Damnit! If only I'd known this morning! I told the guy running the show he needs to advertise and he said he did.....at DIYMA.com!! Where the hell was I?

I need new Karma.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I've been keeping an eye out for a used RTA for the last month or so. Going rate seems to be around $200 on fleabay.

·
(((((((In Stereo)))))))
1,326 Posts
Actually, I've been keeping an eye out for a used RTA for the last month or so. Going rate seems to be around $200 on fleabay.
You can put a PC based setup together for less than $100 if you have a laptop.

Search around the site. There's info. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finding an installer that actually knows how to turn a system isnt easy. Oh sure, if asked, most say, "sure, I can turn your system." Except they don't have access to an RTA, if they even know what one is. Really, how is it a dumbass like me knows more about car audio then more then a couple shop owners I've met. Why do they smile and nod when I say I'm driving my front stage active, then have to explain 3 or 4 times why I don't have seperate crossovers!
Obviously, not every shop is run by knuckleheads, but it really seams finding a good shop next to impossible. I realize 75% of their costumers just want a new HU, maybe some 2 way speakers thrown in the door, and sometimes even an amp.

I guess I don't understand at least trying to understand everything you can about your chosen profession. I'm not saying I'm some audio wiz....that's why I want someone to tune my system, I'd even pay extra if I could watch and ask questions.

Here in Sacramento a well known place is Paradyme. I'm sure they know what they're doing, but.....ready for this?

$120 hr/ 3 hour min to tune a system!!! Thats $360!!! Does anyone else think that's alittle much? I would think about half that much is reasonable. Even $200, maybe alittle more.
But $360?!?!
Anyone within an hour or so of Sacramento that could do the job? Or point me toward a shop that could?

-Uglypedro
(steve)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Come to Houston I aint no Profesional don't even got a shop but danm if tats how much they charge im switching professions

·
Registered
403 Posts
I firmly believe that individuals with expertise in any field should be well paid for their work. I am in the process of having a new system put together for my car as well. I do think that $360 for 3 hours worth of work is a bit much. If you check that hourly rate against other professions, it's way up there; and that's even compared to people who have huge overhead.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
so let me get this straight, spending $2000 and up for a nice music system is fine but spending $300-$350 to maximize it is BS and ripping people off. thats totally absurd IMO. its like me saying im not going to spend the money on supreme gas cause its an extra dollar, need to save that dollar and put regular gas in my GT3 and Twin Turbo knowing its not going to perform at its maximum level

·
Registered
130 Posts
Only so many people have been really far down the rabbit hole in car audio... shops bread and butter is CarPlay upgrades, swapping blown speakers, and maybe doing some subs. $120 and hour in CA doesn’t seem out of line given the hourly rate at my Dodge dealer is over $100 at this point.

It’s also great that this thread is from 2010 😂

1 - 20 of 99 Posts