DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to car audio so those specs dont mean anything to me. Is that powerful enough for a Kia Forte? Could I feel it in my chest or more just background?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would recommend that you just start reading through posts and absorbing information ... there are so many variables it will make your head spin, but eventually you will start to see how everything comes together.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That depends on the sub.
But probably pretty decently powerful.

What sub exactly? Need to know more, like sensitivity, box type/size/tuning, amp, and more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe the question to ask is: what spl is required to feel bass in your chest?

Then you can model a subwoofer in winisd & understand if it will reach that level (or just get a feel from looking at sensitivity & power handling to quickly estimate max spl)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
It could be very powerful but it depends on box design like sealed vs ported, tuning like time alignment and phase cohesion and if ported the fb, cabin gain at what frequency, and the list goes on. Get it all right and 500 watts with a decent 12 can be more than enough.

·
Registered
182 Posts
500 watts is plenty for a first time subwoofer owner especially if you are just simply adding to an existing stock system. Put it in a sealed box and if it's not loud enough go with a ported enclosure.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Just want to add, that it takes an amp rated substantially higher than 500 wts RMS to actually deliver 500 wts. (look up impedance drop) I wouldn't hesitate to run an 800-1000wt amp to that sub, just to ensure it gets actual rated power.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
But it only needs "rated maximum power", if one wants to hit maximum power.

Without knowing what SPL the OP wants, and how much cabin gain, etc. exist... then it is hard to say much for sure.

But yeah... more power can give more output.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
In general --> That shit be bangin'

Now, work out the details...

Ge0

·
Registered
12 Posts
asking how powerful a 500W sub is, is the same thing as asking how much horsepower does a car have that burns .3 gallons per minute.

it depends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts