DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so let me start off tell you what i have ....i have a 98 taurus GL...my headunit is a eclipse cd3200...i have a clarion EQS746....a eclipse ea3422 4 channel amp with the front channels running a set of PPi 3 way powerclass components and the rear channels bridged to 1 channel running 140 watts RMS into a single clarion 10 in a 0.7 sealed box. so far my mids and highs are good. imaging and stage is all great. i can adjust my sub so it bangs clean and loud. but what i want to know in a true SQ comp car is the sub really heard at all?...like dose it just fill out the low end? or do you hear the sub banding in the rear at all?:confused:

·
Registered
413 Posts
In a true SQ comp car you should never hear sub behind you at all. In fact you feel the sub tones more than really hear them. If they blend correct with the mid bass any sound you hear or feel will seem like it is coming from high on the dash.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well TA is the best way running sub out of phase or moving sub box around if you have that option may help. Best things also to try is running your mid bass as low as possible say 40 or 50hz you may not be able to turn system up very loud running that low so you need to adjust sub level down too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh i get what you mean. yea oh by the way...the gains on the eclipse amp are marked in volts...with 5 volts being the gains all the way down. witch is where my cains are since i have 7 volts going into the amp. i forgot the mention i do not have rear speakers....there there is 2 ports going into the trunk into the cab. would it be a good idea to have the sub face directly up and fire into one of the openings? or make a baffle of some sort or catch the subs sound and direct it into the to open holes for the rear speakers?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Depending on the car you really don't know where sub box is best placed just have to experiment. With TA you can pretty much put sub anywhere and just dial it in

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just a thought. Before you mess with your TA, dwell with these 3 items which I find more important when it comes to sub:
1. Phase. Play with your sub's polarity and are which blends better to your fronts.
2. Amplitude. The level of loudness of your mids must coincide with the level of your sub to have an illusion that it is coming upfront.
3. Crossover. Play with your crossover. No rule of thumb here and crossing very low for your mids might not be a good solution specially if your playing your mids beyond it's fs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my mids are set on highpass at 90 hz. and my subwoofer is on LP at 90 hz. should i take the mids down to lets say...50hz? and the sub down to 50 hz?

·
Registered
431 Posts
my mids are set on highpass at 90 hz. and my subwoofer is on LP at 90 hz. should i take the mids down to lets say...50hz? and the sub down to 50 hz?
I think your set it too high for your sub. That is why you could listen it and feel it from your back. It supposed to feel rather than heard. And at 90Hz everyone could easily notice where you placed your sub. CMIIW. Thx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmmm i think you might be right about there. on my amp the LP and HP go down to 50hz. and im pretty sure that my 3 way comp set plays down to 50 hz...so should i set my comp set to 50 HZ HP and my sub 50HZ LP?

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
He's not right. If you can't get a sub to blend at 90Hz then the fault lies in your tuning abilities, not the crossover point. Learn to tune, don't lower your xo point and strangle your midbass.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
You're looking for good 'integration', when combining the sub with your speakers. The sub should:

1. Not play the frequencies that your mid is supposed to play. It should only play when the sub frequencies (20-70hz max) are there in the recording.

2. It needs to be balanced wrt the rest of the sound. Too loud and its going to over power the rest of the sound and pull your attention to only part of the sound. You need to see and hear the sound as a whole. That said, even with proper integration, it will still be a few db's higher than the rest of the sound. If the bass images up lower than the rest of the stage, its too hot.

3. Good balance between your sub and mid bass will give you a seamless transition as the music passes from one range to the next. The sub should give the lower end enough presence to make the sound a complete and whole. I'm not looking for chest thumping bass :)

The gains on your sub amp and hu, the box size, time alignment, xover point and slopes and an eq will help in the integration.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You're looking for good 'integration', when combining the sub with your speakers. The sub should:

1. Not play the frequencies that your mid is supposed to play. It should only play when the sub frequencies (20-70hz max) are there in the recording.

2. It needs to be balanced wrt the rest of the sound. Too loud and its going to over power the rest of the sound and pull your attention to only part of the sound. You need to see and hear the sound as a whole. That said, even with proper integration, it will still be a few db's higher than the rest of the sound. If the bass images up lower than the rest of the stage, its too hot.

3. Good balance between your sub and mid bass will give you a seamless transition as the music passes from one range to the next. The sub should give the lower end enough presence to make the sound a complete and whole. I'm not looking for chest thumping bass :)

The gains on your sub amp and hu, the box size, time alignment, xover point and slopes and an eq will help in the integration.
Agreed and let's not forget about cabin gain when you set your xover. CMIIW

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Yes, cabin gain is a given in a car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanx for the advice everyone. but what i think im going to do is set the HP filter on my comp set at 60HZ since my ppi 3 way set plays 60-20,000hz and set the LP filter at 60HZ and see how that goes. i know some of you might sat set the highpass higher.....but i want the 3 way set to play its full range it was designed to play...60-20,000hz. and my sub will take car of the 60HZ and down...duh! *facepawm* lol i am using the clarion EQ, so adjusting the sub volume so it wont be to loud or so soft will not be a problem. on my headunit *eclipse cd3200* it has the option for listening position *front both seats* *front left* front right* and rear* i have it on front. but if anyone knows there way around this model eclipse headunits EQ aand sound adjustments ....feel free to shoot me some advice. oh and by the way the headunits subouts are not being used as i have the clarion EQ hooked up....i have a 3 foot rca coming off the headunits front rca outs to the EQ then from the EQ i have a 4 channel RCA coming from the EQs front and sub outputs going to the eclipse 4 channel amp running the comp set and clarion 10

·
Registered
431 Posts
thanx for the advice everyone. but what i think im going to do is set the HP filter on my comp set at 60HZ since my ppi 3 way set plays 60-20,000hz and set the LP filter at 60HZ and see how that goes. i know some of you might sat set the highpass higher.....but i want the 3 way set to play its full range it was designed to play...60-20,000hz. and my sub will take car of the 60HZ and down...duh! *facepawm* lol i am using the clarion EQ, so adjusting the sub volume so it wont be to loud or so soft will not be a problem. on my headunit *eclipse cd3200* it has the option for listening position *front both seats* *front left* front right* and rear* i have it on front. but if anyone knows there way around this model eclipse headunits EQ aand sound adjustments ....feel free to shoot me some advice. oh and by the way the headunits subouts are not being used as i have the clarion EQ hooked up....i have a 3 foot rca coming off the headunits front rca outs to the EQ then from the EQ i have a 4 channel RCA coming from the EQs front and sub outputs going to the eclipse 4 channel amp running the comp
set and clarion 10
I think your PPI component will be ok as long as you hpf the midbass at 60hz 12db (at least) and then set the lpf of your sub at 50 or 60 Hz 12db (at least), don't forget to match the polarity of your subwoofer with your whole component set.

Then try to set the level of your sub carefuly, try not to exaggerate it if you care about sound quality (it should match the level of your midbass like sqnuts already aforementioned).

Good luck Bro!

1 - 20 of 163 Posts