DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am i expecting too much from this amp?

I installed my new set of Focal 165VB's and an Eclipse XA5000 amp i bought from craigslist. Long story short, the amp was dead. So now i was stuck with absoloutly no audio in my car.

A friend let me borrow an oldschool 2ch Kicker IX252 till i get can find another amp. I read a thread with one guy saying he benched this amp at over 70w RMS per channel.

I hooked it up and i'm not impressed at all. :mad::worried: The midbass is ok but they distort pretty easily. This definitely doesn't sound like $300 speakers to me.

Am i expecting too much from this little amp??

Also, i'm running off an old Kenwood KDC-135 and my doors are not deadened yet.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
If your set-up can't get moving on 50w, I would say something else might be wrong, unless you are simply expecting too much...

Yes, more power would be nice, but if you are sending a solid 50w to components, you should be getting somewhere...

Doors not being deadened could be a HUGE issue with a high output midbass, just flexing away on the door, nothing to work AGAINST, just a hollow coffee can...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
That's actually a decent little amp, but it really doesn't make enough power to drive midbass speakers very effectively. Does it sound OK until you really try to turn it up, or do the speakers distort at any volume?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That's actually a decent little amp, but it really doesn't make enough power to drive midbass speakers very effectively. Does it sound OK until you really try to turn it up, or do the speakers distort at any volume?
It does sound ok but distorts at higher volume. The bass is definitely better than my stock speakers (which ran right off the HU) but they seem to distort at about the same volume as the stockers did so they don't seem much louder if any.

I can see how some people say this set is a little bright. I think i'm going to turn the tweeters down (-3dB) on the crossovers. They're at 0 right now i think.

My brother had some infinity kappa 6.5's on a rockford 4ch in his old truck years ago (late 90's, early 00's) and that was the most impressive highs i've ever heard. They were clear and smooth and never seemed to distort till your ears were hurting.

Since no one i know would know the name Focal, i'd be embarrassed to tell them that they're "$300 speakers".

Hopefully the XA5000 will sound better if i get it back.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
So your doors aren't deadened, your using the lowest model $79 Kenwood headunit, and have a small amplifier. Yet your blaming the Focal speakers for the bad sound. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I had setup my 80x2 @ 4 ohm amp with a dmm (DMM method) and i was playing my music and it distortaed at higher volumes. I was like what the... So i check my settings, what do you know my friend must of been playing with my settings and went from the pre set eq "flat" to "powerful" So might want to check your head unit settings. makes a differance when not setup properly...

·
Registered
380 Posts
First off you need a little more power. The more power you throw at them the better. I always like to have lots of extra clean power on tap which is known as headroom. I would also suggest using some sound deadner on your doors and cover any gaping holes in your doors, install is key to getting ANY speaker to sound right. You could take a $200 component set properly installed and embarrass the guy next to you that has a $1500 component set improperly installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off you need a little more power. The more power you throw at them the better. I always like to have lots of extra clean power on tap which is known as headroom. I would also suggest using some sound deadner on your doors and cover any gaping holes in your doors, install is key to getting ANY speaker to sound right. You could take a $200 component set properly installed and embarrass the guy next to you that has a $1500 component set improperly installed.
Thanks for the constructive post. My next step is to buy and install some RAAMmat for the doors, sail panels and hatch. Also, i plan on covering the outside skin of the doors with ensolite.

Hopefully soon i should get back my XA5000 which claims 50w x 4 which is supposedly a bit underrated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for the constructive post. My next step is to buy and install some RAAMmat for the doors, sail panels and hatch. Also, i plan on covering the outside skin of the doors with ensolite.

Hopefully soon i should get back my XA5000 which claims 50w x 4 which is supposedly a bit underrated.
If your going to use your xa5000 I would either bi amp your components if they are capable or bridge the amp

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your going to use your xa5000 I would either bi amp your components if they are capable or bridge the amp
I planned on running rear fill on the rear channels. I'm pretty set on running a decent set of 6.5 coaxials in my sail panel (stock opening is 6.5). I may try to get a refund on the XA5000 and find another 5ch with more power. Something 100w/ch or more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts