DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building a subwoofer enclosure for my car. (Build log here) It is a fiberglass/plywood hybrid. I filled it with water to check the final volume, and found that there are a number of leaks where the fiberglass meets the wood.

I'm not concerned about the leaks causing any strength issues. The box seems sturdy enough to drive a truck over. But I do need to seal the small air leaks. How would you guys approach this? I'm considering using caulking sealant, like polyurethane or silicone, around all joins where the glass meets the wood.

Does this seem like a good enough plan?

Thanks for any advice.

Wood Rectangle Floor Composite material Flooring

Registered
I would first apply a little sound deadening over the outside to seal it, and then tilt the enclosure and add a little milkshake aka resin mixed with filler to make a thicker resin, and slosh it around the enclosure to seal it all up nicely peel off the deadener and away you go 馃憤馃徏

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea. I didn't have the supplies for the slurry, but I did have Bondo on hand. I packed some in from the outside where the wood meets the fiberglass. Then I caulked any seems where wood meets wood from the inside with a polyurethane sealant.

That made a huge difference on the second water test. There were still a couple of pin hole leaks, but I'll patch those up today.

Wood Grass Rectangle Plant Groundcover

1 - 3 of 3 Posts