DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have tweeters mounted on my sail panels that came with a roughly ~45 degree angle-mount plastic enclosure. I would like to upgrade my tweeters to something I can cross much lower. Something like this (just an example): SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 Neo Magnet, Ring Dome Tweeter

But how do I mount these tweeters that aren’t exactly meant for car audio at an angle? I don’t want to mount it flush in the sail panel since the they are near 90 degrees from the listener... any tips for how to build a small enclosure?

Oh and I really do not want to go through the effort of fiberglassing a smooth-looking tweeter-focused sail panel. I’m cool with things looking clean, but not stock-level clean.

I did search for this and couldn’t find much, if there are other threads please direct me.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
You'll have to get creative.

There are plenty of tweeters that you won't need to worry about aiming, depending on a few things. Those SB's though will not be great off axis. You can shop for a standard dome tweeter that will perform better on axis, and then just flush mount them.

Is this a 2-way, or 3-way front? If 3-way, your life got even easier. If 2-way you'll need to be more selective about your choice, or get to customizing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2-way active.

what specs of that tweeter indicate to you that it’s bad for off-axis?

I’ve seen those tweeters all over this site and I couldn’t imagine everyone is placing them perfectly on-axis... I’m looking for a tweeter I can cross at 2, 2.5 kHz, and it doesn’t seem like there are many that can do that that are meant for cars

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
If you want a tweeter that will be great off axis, you want a very small tweeter. Unfortunately, you are running 2-way, so you need a tweeter that plays low, and small tweeters don't do that well. Since you need a tweeter to play low, small tweeters are mostly out of the picture. This issue is beaming. We can discuss that here, if you want, or you can search the site. Regardless, you're in a position where you need a low playing tweeter, which means you need a bigger tweeter, which makes the axis more important.

I've actually used the Dayton tweeter that you posted. It is a good tweeter, but at 1 1/8" you'll need it to be on axis, so fabrication is likely necessary. If you want to avoid fabrication, and flush mount the tweeters, you'll need a 3/4" tweeter, and none of those that I know of will play low enough for a 2-way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I hear ya, but that’s the point of this thread lol— I’m not trying to flush mount em, don’t worry! If I wanted to just flush mount my tweeters, I wouldn’t be asking how to make/buy pods that allow me to angle them toward the listener.

just to clarify, by “on-axis” you mean pointed towards the listener yeah?

I’m thinking about getting those 1 1/8” Daytons, and mounting in these :ESUPPORT Universal Car Motor 2" 52MM Black ABS Plastic Gauge Meter Dash Dashboard Mount Pod Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0142C1LW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AMz3EbZPEPAK3

on the sail panels with em pointed toward the rear (listeners). Does that sound like a good solution? Only issue I see with that would be that the drivers side would be facing the driver (great!) but the passenger side would be like 70 deg off-axis to the driver (boo!). Must be why most tweeter mounts look roughly 45 deg off-axis...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you want a tweeter that will be great off axis, you want a very small tweeter. Unfortunately, you are running 2-way, so you need a tweeter that plays low, and small tweeters don't do that well. Since you need a tweeter to play low, small tweeters are mostly out of the picture. This issue is beaming. We can discuss that here, if you want, or you can search the site. Regardless, you're in a position where you need a low playing tweeter, which means you need a bigger tweeter, which makes the axis more important.

I've actually used the Dayton tweeter that you posted. It is a good tweeter, but at 1 1/8" you'll need it to be on axis, so fabrication is likely necessary. If you want to avoid fabrication, and flush mount the tweeters, you'll need a 3/4" tweeter, and none of those that I know of will play low enough for a 2-way.
see my previous post, forgot to quote.

but hey also, by all means reccomend me a tweeter of any size, whatever you reccomend. I’m looking to cross at 2K.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

what about this then? Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Ring Radiator Tweeter

1", fs of 436 Hz. And as I said, they will be angled in the sail panel so won't be off-axis entirely.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey just thought I'd respond for anyone who finds this wondering the same thing: I actually sandwich glued and clamped 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF together to get one thicc piece. I then used a circular saw to cut one end at the angle I wanted. Then I used a hole saw to make a hole for the tweeter all the way through. Then I used a jigsaw to cut out sort of a "cartoon ghost" shape. Rounded the edges with sandpaper, then painted black. Epoxied to sail panels. Definitely not stock, but I'm happy with how it looks!

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
Right now I have tweeters mounted on my sail panels that came with a roughly ~45 degree angle-mount plastic enclosure. I would like to upgrade my tweeters to something I can cross much lower. Something like this (just an example): SB Acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 Neo Magnet, Ring Dome Tweeter

But how do I mount these tweeters that aren’t exactly meant for car audio at an angle? I don’t want to mount it flush in the sail panel since the they are near 90 degrees from the listener... any tips for how to build a small enclosure?

Oh and I really do not want to go through the effort of fiberglassing a smooth-looking tweeter-focused sail panel. I’m cool with things looking clean, but not stock-level clean.

I did search for this and couldn’t find much, if there are other threads please direct me.
First ask yourself what are you trying to achieve by aiming your tweeters differently?

If you find you still need to do this then visit the Build Log section of this forum devoted to showing folks how to do this. Look for posts that say "A-pillar install" You'll find plenty of options.

Ge0

·
Member Emeritus - RIP
5,176 Posts
hey just thought I'd respond for anyone who finds this wondering the same thing: I actually sandwich glued and clamped 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF together to get one thicc piece. I then used a circular saw to cut one end at the angle I wanted. Then I used a hole saw to make a hole for the tweeter all the way through. Then I used a jigsaw to cut out sort of a "cartoon ghost" shape. Rounded the edges with sandpaper, then painted black. Epoxied to sail panels. Definitely not stock, but I'm happy with how it looks!
Oh boy....

Ge0

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First ask yourself what are you trying to achieve by aiming your tweeters differently?
I wanted tweeters that I could cross lower which means they have a larger cone which means they have a worse off-axis response. I ended up going with those SB's which I read on a few threads have really bad breakup if more than 30 degrees off-axis. So building an angled pod was essential.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ignore the complete dustiness of my car, it gets a lot of use and is very due for a cleaning...

The sheen difference between the pod paint and car vinyl isn't as noticeable during daylight, it's mainly the camera flash here. Still, I'm pretty satisfied with the result, gets the job done! And one day if I'm really, really bored, I can make smooth, contoured fiberglass over the whole sail panel using these MDF pods as the existing frame mount-- something to work off of.

·
Registered
657 Posts
the pics really help clarify your explanation of how you built them :)
I only saw you mention that you are happy with how they look ... the burning question (at least in my head) is "did this achieve the sound quality goal you were aiming for?"

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I was about to write that I think I have some old tweeter plastic cups laying around somewhere and you could have them if you wanted for the cost of shipping, but then I saw you had made something already. So, good job! Great thinking as well of potentially using those in future to fiberglass them and make them smooth looking.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts