DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to try and run a basic mp3 player (i have several), via the headphone out (i know) into my car system. but i believe the voltage out from the mp3 player will not be enough for the car amps?

whats an easy and cheap way to bump the voltage up?

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just to be clear,

aprox how many volts...milli volts? come out of a typical mp3 player headphone out,

and how many does the CL-RLC require 'in' to function well?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
i doubt i could build that:(

can you?

how much $$ to 95065?

Yeah, I probably could. Although I'm not sure without looking if I have all of the necessary parts. Surely I dont have the input/output jacks (all I have are 1/4") but those are easily obtainable...

Perhaps I should give this a try. I can model up a perf board layout for it for a quick and easy test. If its nice and works well on the perf board test, maybe have my guy do a proper PCB board to populate.

Hmmmm...

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I can honestly say that in my experience, my homemade Cmoy headphone amp worked GREAT for what you want to do.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I can honestly say I've run MANY a amps strait out of my headphone jack on my ipod (1/8"-RCA) with NO problems. Why don't you just try it out instead of wondering? It sounds like you haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
just to be clear,

aprox how many volts...milli volts? come out of a typical mp3 player headphone out,

and how many does the CL-RLC require 'in' to function well?
Around .5 to 1 volt rms. You can use bcae1.com to estimate it by going off milliwatt into headphone impedance ratings on the player.

Dunno about the jl device. Maybe it's a 2:1 ration in to out since it has a max input of 4 and max out of 7.5.

I'm with everyone else though. If the amp is of decent quality then you don't need more voltage then what you get with a good sized portable player.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Around .5 to 1 volt rms. You can use bcae1.com to estimate it by going off milliwatt into headphone impedance ratings on the player.

Dunno about the jl device. Maybe it's a 2:1 ration in to out since it has a max input of 4 and max out of 7.5.

I'm with everyone else though. If the amp is of decent quality then you don't need more voltage then what you get with a good sized portable player.
But then again, will it be enough if you leave some gain up top for low recordings?

·
Registered
778 Posts
you are just adding another source of gain. Have an amplifier sitting around?

You know how to set gains on a head unit and an amplifier. Just do the same here.

I used an old school alphasonic 75x2 amp for a long time in my vehicle for a very similar reason.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

seems like a bad idea to me to go from the 3-4v hu out to .5 on an i pod, id prefer to bump dat signal to 3-4v.

spose i can experiment but figured some of ya'll would already no fo shizzle.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
seems like a bad idea to me to go from the 3-4v hu out to .5 on an i pod, id prefer to bump dat signal to 3-4v.

spose i can experiment but figured some of ya'll would already no fo shizzle.
Yeah, you'd need to try it out to know for sure since there are too many different variables from amp to amp and player to player. Just remember to use the song with the lowest recorded level in your library when testing.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Most amps are sensitive from low to higher voltages, thats what the gains are for. the only reason HU's have a higher voltage 4v's whatever is to overcome noise and such. But if you're hooking up a MP3 player strait to the amps without dealing with wiring harnesses from the car, or RCA's running through noisy environments its not a problem. Again I say I've run my ipod strait into Old school Rubicon Lil Wonders, new JBL Power series, and a few others with no problems. Just get a $2 1/8"-RCA cable and call it a day...I'm telling ya fo shizzle. So long as the amps have a decent gain setting range it'll be fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts