DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to check the phase of my speakers with a multimeter or by whichever way possible. Problem is that they are behind the door panel and i dont want to remove that. I have the other terminals/crossover at my disposal under seat of car where i can reach easily. How do i go about testing the speakers phase from the wire terminals linked to the speaker? Thank you replies really appreciated

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Can you see how the speaker moves though the grille? If so, you can touch the wires with an AA 1,5V battery and the cone will move accordingly. Connect the positive side of the battery to the + side of the wiring (likewise for the negative); if the cone moves outwards, it's in phase. If it moves inwards, it's out of phase.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you see how the speaker moves though the grille? If so, you can touch the wires with an AA 1,5V battery and the cone will move accordingly. Connect the positive side of the battery to the + side of the wiring (likewise for the negative); if the cone moves outwards, it's in phase. If it moves inwards, it's out of phase.
Hi there i CANNOT see the speaker through the grill :(

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
In that case, set the multimeter to show DC Voltage and touch the wiring with its terminals along with the battery (as stated above). If a negative sign is shown on the screen, then the phase is reversed. If not, you're good to go. This only works with a digital multimeter though.

Edit: what kind of grille is it anyway, that doesn't allow the speaker to be seen? That can't be good for the sound. :D

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got an i phone? You can download a free app to check phase. You will need a polarity pulse disc as well, but you should be able to download something.

Speaker Pop for iPhone - Free iPhone software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
Haha you boys should get serious and stop clowning on my thread :p thanks alot for the advice nigel i have found the app in the app store but where on earth do i get to download the polarity pulse disc and how accurate is this iphone method. I dont want to waste $4.99 from the app store and miss the target. Would rather dedicate that $ towards getting a multimeter

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
ak2366,

use a disc and your ears . . .

AutoSound has one where she says: my voice is out-of-phase . . . my voice is in phase.

I'll cost more than $4.99 though

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
its doesnt matter, it is what sounds best and the phase relative to other speakers in your system....if you want a definative answer you can use the DMM method n_olympios outlined

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I wrote about the difference between absolute and relative phase in my earlier post but then thought it's not necessary so deleted it. :)

ak2366, although there are many phase check audio files readily available either free or for purchase, try this one (right click and save as); it's part of the "TDK's Ultimate Guide To Great Sound" disk and ought to do the job.

Took me all 3 minutes to find the link. :p

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
X2

Hey punk, is there a better way to check for acoustical phase than just switching speaker wires until you find what "sounds best" to you?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would always start with everything in mechanical phase so you know where you are.

There is a free JL Audio i phone app, which has a phase checker included.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Listen guys thanks for all the advice. I have decided to buy the speaker pop app , since the free JL audio app doesnt come with tweeter function but the former does. However before i burn my 5 bucks on itunes i need to get to download the speaker pop file problem is when i try to download from studiosixdigital it doesnt allow me

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/downloads-2/speaker_pop_signal_file_--_.aiff

please help out with this, i need to make sure i have the testing file ready with me before i burn money and buy the app. Thanks guys

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dont worry about that file, i have that file in wav, mp3 and aiff format, will upload them somewhere and share the link.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
In that case, set the multimeter to show DC Voltage and touch the wiring with its terminals along with the battery (as stated above). If a negative sign is shown on the screen, then the phase is reversed. If not, you're good to go. This only works with a digital multimeter though.

Edit: what kind of grille is it anyway, that doesn't allow the speaker to be seen? That can't be good for the sound. :D
what if you dont know if the speaker has the positive on the postive and neg on neg? this is not a good way to tell. if you cant see the speaker, and you dont have some analyzing tools, you are not going to be able to tell.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thank you :D , patiently waiting for you to upload an post the link on my thread! :D:D ... thank you
I beat him to it (right click and save as). :)

what if you dont know if the speaker has the positive on the postive and neg on neg? this is not a good way to tell. if you cant see the speaker, and you dont have some analyzing tools, you are not going to be able to tell.
Well then I guess you're FUBARed. :rolleyes:

Seriously, in that case you can only get it right by ear (relative phase only).

Also, now that I think of it, this thread should be named "How to check speaker polarity". ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts