DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says....what are ways of cleaning up your soundstage and imaging, right now i'm using my TA to get a centered image just in the middle of the dash, calculated, AT 1.3ms on L mid and Tweet it sounds a little too far to the R, at 1.2ms, it sounds a little too far to the L, and i can't hear if its actually centered in the middle of my dash like i'd like it to be or not.

I'm used to sitting at home listening to my test material on my HT setup, i sit directly in the middle of the soundstage and its very wide, about 15-17ft wide. And i can get a very clean centered image, but when i sit in my car, i'm not used to the ofset sitting on the L in the drivers seat, so i'm not really sure if i'm getting my imaging right or not.

How can i clean this up and be more sure where my image is, as its not exactly as clean and defined as it could be.

I will be adjusting my gains this weekend, while i have time, and retuning my car some. I'm still getting a bit of gain hiss, and well my overall loudness isint really that good. I set gains at 60, and i normally listen to music at 50, but on some songs i get right close to 60 and it makes me nervous....so i'll reset my gains at 78/80 and use the Autosound 2000 amp setting CD to get them set right.

How would i use these CD's btw.....still not sure on them :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
imaging and staging is mainly a product of driver placement....

but taking care of reflections and eq'ing plays a part too...

from the driver seat....your center image should be a little to the right of your steering wheel....depending on how deep your stage is....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also haveing an imaging problem(05 Taco dbl cab)
I have my tweeters in the kick panels aimed at the dome light and the mids are in the doors. close to the floor. If I angle the mids up say 20-25 degrees would this help with the imaging. I have perform TA and it did help but the soundstage is still around lap level.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Derek said:
imaging and staging is mainly a product of driver placement....

but taking care of reflections and eq'ing plays a part too...

from the driver seat....your center image should be a little to the right of your steering wheel....depending on how deep your stage is....
Hi Derek can u explain a little bit more to me about Staging?? How can i make my staging more deep??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your pathlengths for your tweeters & mid-ranges should be as similar as possible. Speaker placement is very important when setting up the proper soundstage. The easiest reference for where your center image should be is, as close to your rearview mirror as possible. If you measure side to side, you rearview mirror should be pretty close to center. Also, your height of the sound stage should be somewhere between the dash and the mirror. Good Luck.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I hear your pain, I'm dealing with a bit now myself. Female background vocals sound like they are coming from the rear speakers. The biggest problem is that I don't have any rear speakers. :(

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I downloaded some IASCA tracks, one of which has snare hits that pan from right to left. Really useful for dialing in imaging.

GL

-aaron

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have one of the tracks like that, but i can't get a cearly defined center, it sounds like its from the center, but not as clear or clean as i think it should be. Other than that i think my stage height is pretty good, raindow's on the sides because my midbasses are in the doors and they play up to 3.15k or so, but other than that i have great tonality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ArcL100 said:
I downloaded some IASCA tracks, one of which has snare hits that pan from right to left. Really useful for dialing in imaging.

GL

-aaron
Hi aaron.. can i give me the website that u download those IASCA tracks??

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
Ok guys it lot to go into getting your staging and imaging correct. Placement I would put at the top of list. Next I ask what are your crossover points for the drivers in use and what drivers are you guys using. The reason I ask is the from read and trying different things myself, That from 100 to around say 300-400 is PL dependent. From say around 5Khz becomes intensity dependent,PL is not as important and in between there you have the most important frequencies. This is way you should try and get as much info in one driver as possible and move this driver as far away from you as possible.

Add a second pair of tweeters in the A-pillars will help the raise the sound stage and sometimes make the stage a little wider. This stuff in the end all of tuning for staging and imaging, but it is good info to know and work with when installing/setuping your system.

I pesonally use the old way to set gains. Start at the top of the chain, the head unit and turn all the gains all the way down on all the other system components and raise the volume until I hear distoration and back it down a couple of clicks and note that. Then move down the line and do the same thing for each part in the signal chain. I all do it driver by driver, This way you will not over drive any of the speakers in the system. Besides it all about what we hear, not what we can measure riht. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

Mark

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Aside from the fact that it's a car :)

I'd say try to get a stereo indepenent eq/crossover, and work on getting the FR between left and right channels at the listening position to match as best as possible. That cleans it up quite a bit Imo... removing reflections can be a good and bad thing... it does clean up the imaging, but kind of kills your sense of depth and space.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts