DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to mount two amplifiers in my trunk, one on each side. I've always mounted amplifiers to the back of the back seat, but would like to do something a little more stealth and "integrated" this time around.

My question is: how do I mount the amplifiers to the side of the trunk wall if the surface is irregular/not flat? There's enough space on both sides, but since it's not completely flat, I can't just bolt the amp to the sides of the trunk. I'd like to simply mount each amp to an appropriately sized and carpeted board and mount it.

I'm hoping to hear some advice on how to attach that board: how to create a level mounting surface from an irregular surface and how to mechanically secure the board to the sheet metal (hardware? recommended hole sizes?)

I'm attaching a diagram in case I didn't explain this clearly enough. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
i guess the easy solution is to just make a fiberglass panel that matches the contours of the factory panel, and use that as a backer to attach the board to.

there's a LOT of great photos and ideas in the member build logs section. i've been a steady reader in there since I registered here a little over a month ago. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i guess the easy solution is to just make a fiberglass panel that matches the contours of the factory panel, and use that as a backer to attach the board to.
I guess this is what I'm looking for clarification on. I understand the concept of taping up and fiberglassing the irregular wall, but how does that fiberglassed wall attach to the board? I don't understand what comes between the fiberglass and the board. In other words, if I fiberglass the side wall, am I building up fiberglass so it's super thick? What happens between the void in the fiberglass shell and the board?

Attachments

·
Registered
866 Posts
Make a stand using wood mounted to the floor then cut that on an angle and a piece of wood attached on the angle.
Only works if u have a table saw and a degree finder (cheap at harbor freight)

Looks like a crooked L

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess this is what I'm looking for clarification on. I understand the concept of taping up and fiberglassing the irregular wall, but how does that fiberglassed wall attach to the board? I don't understand what comes between the fiberglass and the board. In other words, if I fiberglass the side wall, am I building up fiberglass so it's super thick? What happens between the void in the fiberglass shell and the board?
No, you're not building it up super thick.

just use a small cross-piece at, in your drawing, the "bottom"...the portion nearest the back of the trunk. basically make a wooden L, and affix it to the fiberglass with a little fiberglass mat and resin so it's one complete structure.

Conversely, you could forego a piece of wood, and just use some fleece or t-shirt material, stretch from your amp board to the back fiberglass piece, and hit it with resin. sand/fill to smooth as necessary, wrap with your choice of carpet, vinyl, suede, etc.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
You will have to make stands or brackets to hold your board, unless you mean make sides in the trunk that are flat and mount to them?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in the first photo, that flat space is large enough to fit my class D mono amp.

in the second photo, the upper flat space is far too small to fit my class D mono amp or my A/B 4-Channel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fibreglass could look really good if done right or just use a board of mdf with right angle brackets connected to the floor or something.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the reply. honestly, i'm just going to hide them behind the factory carpeting, so the way it looks isn't super important to me. I will, at least, carpet whatever I end up putting together.

I'm still not entirely clear on the details of how to go about this, but I guess I won't have any specific questions until I get into it. I've looked through a lot of build threads, but I'm not finding anything too similar to what I'm trying to do here. I'm sure I'm looking at the wrong threads. Can anyone think of a build thread I should be paying attention to?

I was looking at the car a little more this weekend and the S60 (to this novice) seems like a good car to build a stereo around. The A-pillars are huge and flared out at the bottom...lots of space for mids and tweeters up there. There's a factory spot for a center channel. It appears like there's plenty of room for a midbass in the kickpanel locations or in the doors, which appear to be sealed up decently from the factory. The rear shelf is large and the back seat folds down with a ski hole (nice for an IB setup). Are there any famous "competition" Volvo S60's out there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nobody will have done exactly what you want to do. It's about seeing the methods of adapting to curved structures, creating a flat section off that, and adapting that methodology to your own circumstances.

Although if you're in Annapolis, I might have some free time to show you what I'm talking about if you want to meet up somewhere. I work at Meade.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts