DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, i'd like to build some new passive xovers for my Towers for when i start building them, with a baffle step to get more midbass out of them. As well as possibly deciding on going 3way up front in my towers, so that the Vifa PL17's won't carry any midrange. So how would i go about designing a high grade 2 or 3 way crossover that could handle around 100rms or so and have phenominal SQ for music/TV, and occasional Movie.

Drivers are:
Tweet- LPG26NAFM
Midrange - ????
Midbass- Vifa P17SJ

Would really like to know how to do this, its one of the only things in Audio that i have no clue on whatsoever, so any light on this topic would help alot.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
John K's guide is an excellent read:

http://www.interdomain.net.au/~bodzio/

So is the Speakerworkshop manual:

http://www.audiodiycentral.com/ntutorials.shtml

Generally involves:

1. Evaluating driver's t/s parameters and deciding on a box.
2. Building the box+baffle considering diffraction/stored energy (baffle shape, size, box volume, port tuning, bracing, etc.)
3. Measuring driver's impedance, phase, and frequency response mounted in the box.
4. Decide on a crossover point/slope based on driver's performance (distortion, stored energy)
5. Correct any fr anomolies
6. Baffle step and impedance correction
7. Listen to it, and possibly repeat 4-6

Get ready to buy alot of parts... especially for a 3-way.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm yea, wow ok didn't think it was that complicated, ok wow lol. Hmm so how much would parts probobly be to build a 2way, or a 3way?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, used them before when designing crossovers for the old bookshelfs, would like to learn how to build my own though, but sorta want to get one made for when i build my new towers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.