DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I had wounded one of my 6.5 inch drivers today, took the door panel off and realized that my window track is rattling inside the door panel. There are three layers of deadener inside and out on the door itself and my concern is that applying deadener to such an area could hinder the performance. Since I have to remove the deadener that is already applied to get to this area I was wondering if anyone had experienced this and has a good solution before partaking in this project. The car is a 2003 Chev cavalier 2 door LS sport. As far as the window bracket it seems to be rattling at the top where it meets the window.

thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
First make sure all the bolts for the track are tight. If it's the window itself rattling, I'd look into a new rubber strip to line the track. If that's not an option, then maybe take a strip of some very thin closed cell foam like ensolite or thinner, and try to tuck it against the back and one side of the track and glue it to the side of the track itself. Spray some dry lubricant on it so the window isn't catching. I'm not sure if dry lube would leave a residue, but that may have to be a tradeoff. If it's the track itself, foam between it and the door so it doesn't rattle would be my next plan. Actually, you may want to start with that and see if it kills the problem. A small strip of deadened on the back and sides of the metal track may also help, if it's doable in your car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you thumper. I am going to cut the deadener off this weekend and see if I can't get this solved. The pain of it all is sometimes you don't hear the rattle until you get it all assembled. That and the fact that the rattle is less identifiable up close but being that it is on my passenger side, it seems to fire right into my ear with me sitting in drivers seat.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
thank you thumper. I am going to cut the deadener off this weekend and see if I can't get this solved. The pain of it all is sometimes you don't hear the rattle until you get it all assembled. That and the fact that the rattle is less identifiable up close but being that it is on my passenger side, it seems to fire right into my ear with me sitting in drivers seat.
find some test tones, find the frequency that makes it rattle, play that frequency and inspect the door/window carefully(flashlight and applying pressure in various places) before taking it apart, you might be able to identify what is rattling AND fix it without taking the door apart?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
find some test tones, find the frequency that makes it rattle, play that frequency and inspect the door/window carefully(flashlight and applying pressure in various places) before taking it apart, you might be able to identify what is rattling AND fix it without taking the door apart?
^this

before going to all that work, see if it you are right and it is rattling at the top of the door where the window meets the door. if that is the case, you might be able to take a thin layer of damping material (or self adhesive rubber) along the top of the door just inside where the window runs up and down. this will keep it from hitting the door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts