DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im trying to add a 4 channel amp along with new door speakers in a 2011 chevrolet silverado. I'm trying to retain the stock stereo do I was going to use the hi/low output on my amp which is a jl600/4. I am confused on how to do this though, I know I need to hook into the speaker wires to get signal but do I need to also run new speaker wire to the amp? If someone could explain how to hook this up I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Does your truck come with any kind of stock amplifier or is it a basic system consisting of just the head unit and speakers? If it's a basic system then IMAGINE FIRST doing this:

Take the stock speaker wires. Cut them in the MIDDLE. Take the side that goes to the head unit and route that to the high level input of the amp (however it does that; I haven't used the HD series). Take the side that goes to the speakers and hook it up to the output of the amp.

Now all you need to do in practice is add extra speaker wire to extend those wires out to let you place the amp where you want it.

Your stock speaker wire may be of a pretty thin gauge that you may want to just reroute it completely to the amp, and run brand new 12/14/16 gauge wire to your speakers. With that amp, 16 gauge is the lowest I would go. If you use 2 ohm speakers, I would probably step it up to 14 gauge, even. It would be basically the same thing that I just mentioned except that instead of using part of your stock speaker wire for the speaker, you'd run new wire. I only told you what I told you before to make it easy to visualize, really.

If you have a stock amp then you will want to bypass it; let us know.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You can get a factory harness from a place like Metra and see if they have a reverse version of it also. That would allow you to splice into your factory wiring without cutting any factory wires because you are cutting and splicing the Metra harnesses. But like dragonrage said, it's all dependent if you have the Bose system in your vehicle. Me personally, I don'd like cutting factory wires on a brand new vehicle. I would go the extra mile and find or make the correct harnesses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts