DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know how to keep battery from discharging while making adjustments in HU, amps, processor? I have CTEK MXS 5.0 charger and I wonder if it would help and more importantly if it would be SAFE to connect it to my battery and dc socket while I'll be listening to my audio pounding and tuning all sort of stuff. Would this charger supply sufficent current and will it not go crazy thinking that the battery is acting weird?

Thanks in advance
PB

·
Registered
11,999 Posts
as long as the charger is capable of the current you draw, it should be fine. most battery chargers from walmart supply 12-15A continous and have a "start" feature that will supply 50A for a few minutes. these are not really good enough.

the type Chad has in that link above or any good AC to DC powersupply will work. they are not cheap though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's sux. Wouldn't RTA anylsis be a bit different with the car running vs not running if the engine was completely silent.

Audio amplifiers performing at car off 12 volts vs car running 14.4 volts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that's right.
I know I'll be doing that for hours so I need some energy backup. Don't want to fume myself to death and burn 10 liters of gas. Besides I heard somewhere that running car on idle for too long isn't quite healthy for engine itself. I'd call that BS but I'm being precautious. So you say I should try this CTEK? Link here : MXS 5.0

I see the max current is 5A so... thats pretty poor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Large capacity quick chargers will do that, I have seen mine bring back seemingly dead standard car batteries lol. One of the large rolling cart versions like mine would do the trick as long as your not cranking up sub-woofers like crazy, just make sure its a charger and not a tender. Tenders from my experience are designed to keep the voltage up and don't supply much of a current. Where as my charger will charge a full size battery from dead to full in about 45 minutes or so. I'm not the end all be all of knowledge by any means though, so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Fast charging a battery is not really good for it.

Slow and steady wins the race.
actually if the battery has no issues like a dead cell, then pumping it with a lot of juice isn't bad, its bad to do it continuously. The fast chargers now will go from dead to full in 30 minutes. They vary the load and voltage and then trickle for the last 10. if fast charging kills a battery, then you can never jump start it, drive it (alternator) or even use a standard charger!

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
actually if the battery has no issues like a dead cell, then pumping it with a lot of juice isn't bad, its bad to do it continuously. The fast chargers now will go from dead to full in 30 minutes. They vary the load and voltage and then trickle for the last 10. if fast charging kills a battery, then you can never jump start it, drive it (alternator) or even use a standard charger!
If you are repeatedly depleting a non deep cycle battery then fast charging it, it's lifespan will suffer dramatically. The alternator does not "fast charge" as we are speaking of because the battery is not that depleted in 99% of all situations. If you kill a battery, jump start it, then fast charge with the alternator, yes, you shortened it's lifespan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts