DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using an Eclipse 8062 as my source unit, and am very happy w/sq of cd, however when i connect my ipod to it through the aux input. The ipod does what any form of music compression does, it sounds hollow and missing compared to the same music from cd. Is there a signal processor out there for a REASONABLE $$ (under $400) that will at least help compensate for the loss of the compressed music file?
The limitations of my hu are as follows, no digital in, no access to it's internal d/a converter, olny has a headphone jack for the aux in. I love this deck for what it is, but it is also from 2006. I know the pioneer 99 is awsome, but it is also $1,000 +, i spent $350 on this h/u on a "fire sale" from an audio shop 5years ago and still like the way it works/sounds. The thing has a big volume knob and a rather simple easy layout of functions. It does a lot, but the controls i use every day are at my fingertips.
I am sure I am not the only person in this delima, if there are any older Mac/Clarion hu owners out there, I am sure they feel my pain.
Reality is 2 classic 160 iopd's allow me to carry almost my entire music collection with me in a pocket, making me think of getting an iopd dedicated deck, but i still like to hear the cd sometimes, especially when it is a new one that I haven't played out yet.
To my ear, the ipod kills the liveliness of midbass making it sound a little dead, the bass is over powering, and the highs have a harshness to them that is not there from cd's.
Any help would be much apprechiated. I have access to some old stock eclipse dsp if they would be of any benefit.
Thank you to all the knowledge.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
1: rip your songs at a higher quality.
2: get a line out cable. it uses the line out from the DAC on the ipod (the 160's have a crap DAC though). This plugs into the apple plug and gives you rca cable ends.
3: look into getting your ipod modded for higher quality sound. You can mod them for a line out through the headphone jack IF you never use headphones. Still doesn't have a good DAC in it though. put the same music on a 30gb 5.5 or earlier gen ipod. night and day on high bitrate.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you are willing to change your headunit, there are many that bypass the internal dac in your price range. Which one that will work best for you will depend on what features/processing you want.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
First and foremost...start over with Lossless files or similar.
If you have low bit rate stuff, well....ya can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Sorry....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am using the itunes lossess, but it is still not the same as the cd..most of my music comes from orignal cds, not down loaded, and yes, i know i have too many cd. it still sounds bettter then sirrus/xm, but i use that mostly for talk radio/football anyway.
the istreamer looks like the best solution for my problem that i have seen yet, i did a little research and the amazon one comes w/12v cla included.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an iPhone4 I use for portable music duty. I use the Flac Player app, which is just like the apple "ipod" media player on it, but plays real files!

I use the headphone jack out to RCA in on my head and the sound is supurb. Actually right now I have the cable straight into the RCA running to the amps with a pair of RCA barrels. No headunit at all since its out for repairs.

AFAIK you can get the same app for an iTouch too, maybe iPod? I dunno... not really an Apple fan outside the iPhone.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the most part you can not get apps for the classic, they lack the interface/processor and software to run apps. The hard fact is that when ever you compress music, you lose some of the music and are forced into "fooling" your ears. that is how they compress music, certain parts of the music are depeated when saved and then replaced when played back, reality is that some of what is deleated and what is put back are not always correct. This is done in many ways, and it is proven that if you have an untrained ear you will not notice much if any difference (how do you think Bose has been so succesful for so long). Your brain will compensate for certain missing parts in what you hear, just as your eyes can be fooled in what they see.
This is very similar to the old vinyl vs cd days, except that the cd showed too much of the orignal info of the recording during playback and the nature of a digital wave vs that of an analog wave also had people in an uproar. While I do agree that cd's have a certain harshness when compaired to a good vinyl recording of the same music, you can play the cd 100's of times with no degradation in the sound, where as vinyl or any magnetic medium will have loss from the first time you play it. Durability and convience as well as sq, the cd is the winning format so far.
For the best music quality, there are some programs out there that will give you a reduction in storage with a very minimal loss in sq, but you do not have the ipod interface, protability, database to draw from (itunes), or the just plain ease of it that idevices offer. The savings in space btw is around 15% of the orignal files.
I am not expecting a miracle here, but i miss hearing the sharp snap of a snare drum, the crispness of female vocals dancing on my tweets and mids. All of this is my ear and my tastes, I know people who are happy as crap with the sound of their idevice and I do not blame them, the convience of it still astounds me. I have over 2,000 cd's on 2 ipods in a package a little bigger then a hard pack of cigs, while my cd collection takes up almost a whole room with shelves and cds....

·
Registered
204 Posts
For $199 I would try the iStreamer. The other option is the Pure i-20 iPod dock. It gives a digital out in addition to stereo RCA. That cost 100. I think the iStreamer is the easier to integrate of the two. My take is that you already realize the compromise of an iDevice. But I think with an iStreamer and Apple Lossless you can come closer to what you are trying to achieve.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
For $199 I would try the iStreamer. The other option is the Pure i-20 iPod dock. It gives a digital out in addition to stereo RCA. That cost 100. I think the iStreamer is the easier to integrate of the two. My take is that you already realize the compromise of an iDevice. But I think with an iStreamer and Apple Lossless you can come closer to what you are trying to achieve.
+1 on this the I streamer is a night and day difference in DAC's a lot of home stereo guys swear its the best dac under 600.00 period.

I've heard it and think its a no brainer, assuming your content is HQ to begin with... JMO YMMV

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, the istreamer looks like the best and easisest fix to my problem, easy intergration, and it does it all on it's own once connected, even powering and pausing the pod when i shut the car off. Ok, off to find an istreamer.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ok, but I"m confused still. Can you download songs from Itunes as "lossless" or is that only for ripping a CD????? Because my music sounds like crap now that I have "good" speakers and can actually hear it, I reallly need to do something about it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
only when ripping from cds can you get the lossless, d/l you will only get what itues gives you, which is not lossless. the istreamer will give me what i am looking for, a true line level out, that does not have any type of device driven tone changing and a DAC. I am excited to get it, and even more to install it in a week or two. I will post finding afterward.

·
Registered
204 Posts
No the iTunes store only sells 256kbps AAC. The only way I know of to get lossless is to rip your own CDs. I rip using dbpoweramp to ALAC. Works good so far.

·
Registered
176 Posts
only when ripping from cds can you get the lossless, d/l you will only get what itues gives you, which is not lossless. the istreamer will give me what i am looking for, a true line level out, that does not have any type of device driven tone changing and a DAC. I am excited to get it, and even more to install it in a week or two. I will post finding afterward.
Ok well keep us posted. I am very curious if I need to upgrade my Sony DMR which is brand new, that would suck, or just add this istreamer. My music now sounds harsh, and shrill and fatigueing. I'm running Focal 3 ways up front off a JL Audio HD 900/5 and it's disappointing so far, not sure what to do but I DO think it's my source material. No way will I go back to CD's though just not worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Ok well keep us posted. I am very curious if I need to upgrade my Sony DMR which is brand new, that would suck, or just add this istreamer. My music now sounds harsh, and shrill and fatigueing. I'm running Focal 3 ways up front off a JL Audio HD 900/5 and it's disappointing so far, not sure what to do but I DO think it's my source material. No way will I go back to CD's though just not worth it to me.
do your cds sound this way too? I don't like focal because they are harsh, shrill and cause fatigue. my opinion btw.

·
Registered
176 Posts
do your cds sound this way too? I don't like focal because they are harsh, shrill and cause fatigue. my opinion btw.
OH NO!!!! LOL, I hope that's not true. I only have Ipod capability hence my dilemma via the Sony DMR.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This might work, the RCA to head will give you a better sound than the 3.5mm jack.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts