DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have some 10k ohm linear pots already, but wanted log curve also just in case. Are you certain helix takes the linear input and adjusts the volume with a logarithmic curve? I plan to connect the controller using a standard easily replaceable md8 mini din cable. That's my reason for going with a jack instead of a plug.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okey Dokey. I'm using Linear - though I haven't measured it, it sounds 'correct'. And the ones in the actual remote are linear.
Good idea regarding the 8-pin arrangement - I guess you have a source for a cable?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I like!

·
Registered
203 Posts
i tried to build one of these but it didn,t work.
i tried 50k log and nothing.
i tried 5k linear and nothing.
i will buy a 10k linear tomorrow but i don,t think it,s the problem.
it should adjust even not perfect.
maybe i need to do a setup form the software?

·
Registered
8 Posts
i tried to build one of these but it didn,t work.
i tried 50k log and nothing.
i tried 5k linear and nothing.
i will buy a 10k linear tomorrow but i don,t think it,s the problem.
it should adjust even not perfect.
maybe i need to do a setup form the software?
click "Device configuration"

and there you have 2 check box

[x] master volume
[x] sub woofer volume

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just made my din cable and soldered some leads to my potentiometer. I just have one pot for now for sub, i dont really need the others and may never, but I still soldered all the required pins in the 8pin din connector....

thought a cat5 cable might work well

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rX9c-TtJaYA/VXH9moYY8II/AAAAAAAAE2s/Fo8RH9j8BmE/w576-h768-no/15%2B-%2B1

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p-T5h8Aoq2A/VXH9i3J4qNI/AAAAAAAAE2E/F6ojJBJMhSs/w576-h768-no/15%2B-%2B1

I used butt connectors for now but i might switch to bullets. I was going to use spade terminals but they don't fit through the nut and lockwasher for that POT, and its a top mount, so the wiring would need to fit through where I mount it. Its super tiny though!

·
Registered
950 Posts
This is the next thing I have to build :) a couple of the last posts here are using the mini din plug and it should work with the DSP pro.

You ever give this a shot? How'd it work out. Gonna try this with my Pro. Thinking of taking apart my URC-2a and making it less ugly

·
Registered
714 Posts
You ever give this a shot? How'd it work out. Gonna try this with my Pro. Thinking of taking apart my URC-2a and making it less ugly

I haven't yet... I'm still using my URC also. I'd consider taking mine apart too but I'd like to really have a metal knob that sticks out a little more rather then a thumb wheel

·
Registered
950 Posts
Cool, thanks for the response. I'm with you on the knobs, I got some aluminum ones Ima try. Let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ! Thanks for all the info iv got so far. But i still have one problem with soldering the connector. Its round 8 pin mini-din, abd looks like this =

i.imgur.com/jQOh4Tt.jpg

Buy how should i solder one wire into shell (for ground)? Tin doesnt stay on that coated shell...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered a Director... Any idea if I can have a potentiometer within arms reach for system volume control and put the director say in my sun glasses holder and just use it for input changes? :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to say thank you to this group for all of the good information about this unit, and to give an update.

I have the Helix DSP Pro, and the information is accurate for the pinout as of this posting.

I'm using a digital potentiometer to control the Helix, and in my findings, 10k just isn't enough. Even at 0 which reads about 9.5k on the multimeter, signal is still passed over the RCA from low to high. In order to get the volume to totally stop I had to have a resistance of 55.7k.

In my findings, the basic steps are 55k, 53k, 37k, 25k and then every ~407 ohms from 25k up to 300 ohms has a noted increase in volume. My source unit only has 64 steps so its possible the increments are even smaller than 407 per step but thats roughly 1db when measured with my SPL meter.

If you use an analog potentiometer this might not be an issue if it goes to a complete circuit disconnect at 0.

I hope this helps someone else. I had to combine a 10k and 50k to get this working.

It would be MIGHTY helpful if anyone knows the DIGITAL control and not the analog one. I cant believe the Director unit is using the analog like the small remote does.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Installing my DSP Pro today.

What type of connector do I need to connect to the processor?

Also what type of switch do I use if I want to be able to toggle between the two presets? I am assuming a toggle switch would not work, correct?

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Installing my DSP Pro today.

What type of connector do I need to connect to the processor?

Also what type of switch do I use if I want to be able to toggle between the two presets? I am assuming a toggle switch would not work, correct?
Looks like an 8-pin mini din connector such as this recepticle I saw on pg1 that looks like the port on the DSP:

Maybe something like this:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CUI/MD-80/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtAYTMy7wxAr38XxmkflkdN0SZhPELO3hBI5rnf1nHYLQ%3d%3d

41 - 60 of 90 Posts