DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

201 - 220 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I just got my mic mate today at guitar center. This is a test with the free 1 octave on my home 2 way speakers. It's about 6" away from the mid and tweeter. I have a feeling this is going to get a lot more fun when i get the 1/3 octave version :D

P.S. The low end is taken care of by my sub about two feet away so that explains the big bump.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Did you also calibrate the micmate to the PC?
I saw some stuff in this thread, and saw a bunch of people using M-Audio's Mobile Pre USB, using a loopback setup to calibrate the Mobile Pre, as well as the mic...however, I don't see how you would accomplish something similar with a MicMate, or if it's even necessary.

My plan was to try the EMM-6 and MicMate to set up my new system, but couldn't find any info on calibration of the MicMate.

Jay

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I don't think you need to "calibrate" the USB Mic Mate via the sound card output to input method, nor do I know if you can. It may not be 100% accurate, but it is more accurate than the NOTHING that all my local custom shops have.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I don't think you need to "calibrate" the USB Mic Mate via the sound card output to input method, nor do I know if you can. It may not be 100% accurate, but it is more accurate than the NOTHING that all my local custom shops have.
One of our other stores has a seldom used AudioControl 3055, but I've been with the company on and off for the past 6 years, and it was older then, so I have no idea how "in-spec" the mic is. I imagine that spending money to have a setup on my laptop would be slightly more expensive than paying to get the 3055 calibrated....and I could potentially run the RTA software and the BitOne software at the same time on my laptop. :)

Jay

·
Registered
220 Posts
I saw the Parts Express Dayton EMM-6 posted earlier that comes with a calibration file. Anyone using that mic, and is the calibration file that comes with it compatible with TrueRTA?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I just wanted to post up a pic of a measurement i did to test out my mic with the mobile pre. don't laugh, its all i had around and i was bored. I tested a pair of sony earbuds :D just by holding it right at the tip of the mic it worked perfectly, fairly nice response too haha. check it out:

The below 100 hz response was just room noise/artifacts but above that the headphones bumped the response up some so that is pretty accurate. This is 1/6 octave smoothing i think, or 1/3 i cant remember. Im excited to get my EQ up and running so i can do some real tuning :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
it's the 3rd time I try to post this very same message, let's hope this time passes.

I've purchased an individually calibrated EMC8000 from Cross Spectrum. and now I'm deciding on which preamp to buy, I googled a bit and found this, which might be of interest for this thread: USB Audio review: Blue Icicle, Centrance MicPort Pro, Shure X2U, MXL Mic Mate | recording hacks

would I find any differences between one of those or something like the Edirol UA 25? beyond inputs/outputs I'm interested in terms of quality and self calibration.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ˆˆˆˆ I'm surprised this time my reply passed. the two previous ones went into moderation and never did it to the thread. maybe I've missed somewhere that I need a minimum of N posts to be able to comment in the tutorials subforum...

anyways, I hope the recording hacks article helps somebody.

·
Registered
127 Posts
you can calibrate the soundcard yourself. once you do this, you're set. you already own a calibrated mic, which is 95% of the battle. ;)
that's nice :)

of course I got the "self calibration" term bad, I mean just "calibration". I said it mostly because of this:

do you think spending more on the UA 25 would make any difference — accuracy wise — versus the simpler ones in the article I linked (= MicMate like)? I mean, if an UA 25 can / should be calibrated, would it yield greater accuracy than a MicMate (et al.)?

·
Registered
127 Posts
here's something I haven't seen specified in the thread: do I have to do the metering with my body inside the car? I mean, if my audio system will be reproducing sound only with me sitting in the car, shouldn't the sampling be done as close as that as possible? kind of what you do with the MS-8 — though I'd say the same should be done for when there are two (three, four) people sitting in it.

or wouldn't the available physical space affect the readings very much?

·
18,390 Posts
really briefly, as I'm out the door as I type this...

1) The mic mate measures VERY close to the m-audio mobilepre setup that I have which has been calibrated, in addition to using a calibrated mic. I don't know if the mic mates vary unit to unit much, but overall I think it's a safe purchase.
2) I did a quick search on the roland ua-25 and couldn't find anyone with it in stock, so couldn't get a ballpark price. I will say that I snagged my mobilepre off e-bay for $85 shipped a couple years ago. I think it's a good purchase. It has phantom power and a lot of input/outputs to use for RTA stuff. If the roland is close in price to that, has phantom power and xlr inputs, and also a good output so that you can send audio signal from your RTA software to your car's stereo via a AUX input, then go for it. Having the ability to play sweeps or pink noise through an AUX is a great luxury. MUCH better and easier than playing pink noise CDs and having to play/pause the track(s) repeatedly.
3) Measuring with your body in the car. It's good exercise, but I rarely do it. I use the RTA to get me in the ballpark and everything else is done by ear.
Also really depends on the aiming of your driver's, too.

201 - 220 of 261 Posts