DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
np, what weighting do you lean towards? B?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
np, what weighting do you lean towards? B?
I can't speak for Nguyen, but I tune to a modified B weighted curve. I follow the B scale in the bass region but not so in the treble region. I prefer to taper my treble off a tad so it is not overpowering vs boost it as B weighting would suggest.

I dumped the Behringer mic in favor of a binaural summed and averaged solution. I use this in combination with long measurement averages to come up with a pretty damn realistic tonal balance and stage presentation. I've been told by people with fairly high credentials that my system sounds VERY pleasing. If I could only find the time to clean up my install one day I might actually compete.

Ge0

·
Registered
142 Posts
JORGE , which sound card did you use , i heard that the one from the comp. is not very reliable for this type of programs . i also have this program .

·
Registered
373 Posts
I hope i haven't missed this in the thread somewhere, but say you had available a pair of ECM8000's and a 2 channel mixer/pre-amp, would it be lucrative to set-up a mic in the location of each ear and run the tests in 'stereo' rather then using a single mic in teh centre of the head style arrangment?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Payed with the RTA this Sunday.
Put the mic where my head would be, sat in the back seat with the laptop and the C701 controller, got only the right speakers playing and started measuring. I then tryed to get it as flat as possible with the C701. After I got it the best I could, did the same thing on the left channel and then with both channels together.
Let me tell you I'm impressed with the results.
Tonality wise it's a totally different system.
Before this I've been listening to the Focal 1 cd for one week non stop.
After the "tune" I could hear a lot of thinks that I've never heard before.
I'm going to read and learn as much as I can on how to properly tune with one of this, but the differencie is HUGE.
And I didn't even knew what I was doing.:eek:

Jorge

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
After the "tune" I could hear a lot of thinks that I've never heard before.
I'm going to read and learn as much as I can on how to properly tune with one of these, but the difference is HUGE.
And I didn't even know what I was doing.:eek:

Jorge
I would love to find some kind of class in Los Angeles.

I've also had really good results from using PC Based Measurement Software and I don't have a clue as to what all the settings are for. :confused:

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Doitor, take note on the graph you shared, you have a 20db swing on frequency response. My point is that flat could be more accurate if you change the db setting so it gets down to 5db differences between large graph points. also try averaging as Npdang suggested :)

Just trying to help my teammate out :)

Good luck amigo!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
also, I thought you werent a controller / laptop kinda guy?? The 701 was supposed to be all you need?? You are learning jedi knight!! j/k lol.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the info, Red.
I know there's a LOT to learn.
Just starting with this and really like the results.

Jorge.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I dumped the Behringer mic in favor of a binaural summed and averaged solution. I use this in combination with long measurement averages to come up with a pretty damn realistic tonal balance and stage presentation.
Do you have your mic placement/aiming in any threads already? If not, would you care describing?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I received the final piece of my setup today. Everything worked fine out of the box. Setup was easy.

One question/comment however. Correct me if I'm wrong but all of the steps regarding 'calibrating your sound card' really do not apply if you are not using the analog in/out on your card. If you are using MicMate or similar (USB-based), the sound card doesn't even come into play IMO.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks for this thread. Following suit, I just picked up the mxl mic mate and behringer ecm8000 mic from ebay. Not counting shipping, the price is the same as your title, but with shipping it put me $10 over. :)

Anyway, please keep the posting going as I'll have to learn to use this as well, but for self tuning or just seeing what is going on, this seemed like an awesome way to go for the DIY person.

Any updates?

Also, are you guys using any type of mic stand or bracket to hold the mic?

And, are you using any sort of test tones or tracks during measurement?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm glad that this thread helped you out.
You might want to read ndpang's much more advanced posts on how to use an RTA (http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17), and I'm sure you can find a lot of good info using search.
I bought a mic clamp at my local guitar center. Something like the one posted a couple of posts above and clamp it to the head rest.
As for material used for the test, most people use pink noise, but there's also a tutorial about using test tones to get every frequency in the center of the dash, but I don't remember where I found that one.
Let me look and I'll post here when I find it.

Jorge.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm still learning too but here is what I think....

Two ways to do this.

1. Play a quality pink noise track (autosound 2000 cd or similar) at 0db reference. Raise volume to some level (need help here- 70db sufficient?). Do RTA with this setup and freeze the FR graph to see where you're at. You could also tweak EQ settings in real time and watch the results on the FR graph.

2. Tie the output of your soundcard into the various inputs on your amplifier/EQ/whatever and do a 'quick sweep' on the RTA/MLS software. This generates the tone and then records it via the mic.

One method uses your headunit to generate the tone, the other uses the RTA/MLS program to generate the tone.

Experts, Are both ways acceptable?

Also, I purchased a 'low-profile mic stand with boom'. They're only $20 and give you lots of flexibility.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Is there a "special" mic needed? And if were using a USB connection for the mic, as Doitor did, we dont need to measure the FR of the computer do we?
Yes, a special mic is needed. If you google this particular mic you will find that it is specially designed for analysis and measurement:

"The ECM8000’s linear frequency response and omni-directional polar pattern allows you to carry out measurement and alignment tasks with minimum hassle and maximum precision, making it a perfect complement to any real-time analyzer."

Most mics do not exhibit these characteristics.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The sound card does not come into play because the usb port is being used to transmit the audio information.

I received the final piece of my setup today. Everything worked fine out of the box. Setup was easy.

One question/comment however. Correct me if I'm wrong but all of the steps regarding 'calibrating your sound card' really do not apply if you are not using the analog in/out on your card. If you are using MicMate or similar (USB-based), the sound card doesn't even come into play IMO.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The sound card does not come into play because the usb port is being used to transmit the audio information.
Exactly what I figured. I wonder if there is anything interesting with respect to TA. I mean, the analog audio out of the soundcard is sending the sweep to the connected equipment. The ECM8000 is recording the output via the USB Audio Codec.

Food for thought...

Anyway, I was playing with it today on my home system. Anyone think the first track of the 'Straight Outta Basstown' CD emphasizes the lower octaves? LMAO

It's a great way to find all of your room rattles. My wife had set a plant on top of the sub. It pretty much walked itself off onto the floor.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Doitor, many thanks for this info. I did not think I could afford an RTA setup and instead it is very affordable. I plan to order the mic and interface in the next few weeks. I use my laptop to configure my RF 3sixty.2 so I should be able to switch back and forth to see how adjustments in eq affect the RTA.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I think the setup works great. The MicMate is much better than expected.

Yes, thank you Doitor!

So far, I've used this setup with TrueRTA, Fuzzmeasure Pro3, and Room EQ Wizard. Great results and no hiccups so far. Luckily the ECM8000 is so popular that find finding mic calibration files for it is easy.

21 - 40 of 261 Posts